Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2006, 02:01 PM

Puppy milk. Good or bad?

I tried my puppy with some puppy milk from Tesco and he wolfed it down straight away. I gave him a bit more and he was sick, was it the milk?
I gave him it before bed to settle him down a bit but i dont know if it made him ill instead.
Can i give him warm watered down cows milk instead?
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by sanchez
I tried my puppy with some puppy milk from Tesco and he wolfed it down straight away. I gave him a bit more and he was sick, was it the milk?
I gave him it before bed to settle him down a bit but i dont know if it made him ill instead.
Can i give him warm watered down cows milk instead?

I personally believe that the only milk a dog [ or cat ] needs is what it gets from the mother. Sadly the pet food industry is so desperate for our money that they dream up things which they want us to give our pets because it makes us feel better to do so, rather than for the animals benefit. Many products [ not specifying this one as I havent come across it before Tesco`s decide to sue me ] contain appetite or scent simulating elements which make them appetising, but that doesnt make them suitable for every dos digestive system.

Many [ not all, but many ] dogs and cats simply cant tollerate the lactose in dairy milk so that should be avoided anyway - they might like it, but certainly they dont need it in their diets - if they did, we would see dogs and cats in fields hanging off cows udders all the time

If your pup is so young as to still need milk, it would be best to get suitable weaning products, but if already fully weaned, I wouldnt bother with products designed to tug at the heart
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 02:51 PM
I have always given my dogs a drop of milk, and get annoyed at people that say it is not good for them. Humans shouldn't have milk past their baby stage either, but lot's of us continue to drink it through adulthood. What most people don't know is that humans too can't digest lactose if they don't possess the ability to make lactase which digests the sugar (lactose) in milk.
This happens naturally in the young, and once they are weaned the production of lactase stops with age. However if like me your dogs like a drop of milk, and you feed it to them from a young age, they can continue to digest, like us. I am not sure what would happen if you gave a human adult milk, who had not consumed milk since a baby. My guess is he would probably not tolerate it and be sick or have gastric problems and pain.
Milk in the young specifically has been linked to increased mineral content in bone, and also with brain building material. So I would always recommend milk (not the artificial stuff, either cow or goat) to young dogs that can tolerate it.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 03:06 PM
I think apart from mums milk ..milk dosen't really give much benifit like it dose to us
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks thats great.

He's been weaned for 4 weeks now, it was just a product i saw and thought it would be a nice treat for him. He would rather sit in his water rather than drink it at the moment!!
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 03:49 PM
my dog Toby loves a drop of milk, i just give him normal semi skimmed milk, he has never had an upset tum or been sick from drinking it (i only give him a small amount). In fact when he sees you get the plastic bottle from the fridge he stands there licking his lips
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Should i warm it up or is it ok to give him straight from the fridge? He is only 10 weeks old
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by sanchez
Should i warm it up or is it ok to give him straight from the fridge? He is only 10 weeks old
i thought it made him sick ..........
sanchez
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2006, 04:59 PM
Puppy milk made him sick but i'm not sure if he'd be ok with cows milk. Everytime i go in the fridge he's there sniffing for the bottle of milk even though he's never had it before!! Strange.
I'm trying to find an alternative for water cos he doesnt seem to like it! Even though he has dry food more than wet he'd rather sit in his water than drink it and i dont want him getting dehydrated
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2006, 05:03 PM
I'm trying to find an alternative for water cos he doesnt seem to like it

water is much better for him and he is so young ...i think if you offer him other stuff this young you might get probs in the future.........hun if he is thirtsy he will drink
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >