View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2012, 05:45 PM
I really feel for you - it's so stressful watching one's dog go over threshold. Especially when you work so hard with Cain to ensure it does not happen and that he does not get stressed.

It does sound as though RM was trying to establish if eye contract was a significant trigger. I know with Dex that it is, in terms of his reactivity to other dogs when he's on lead. It also sounds as though RM was pushing Cain to his utmost limits with the park situation - and what a star Cain was by the sound of it!

But ultimately you know your dog - YOU are the expert on Cain.

I think if it was me I would now:

1 - demand the refund. Surely he can just pay it into your bank account?

2 - explain that you would now like a report on his conclusions re Cain and what he feels the key issues are. Also ask him to outline what he sees as the way ahead IF you were to attend more training with him.

Once you have this report, you can then decide whether you want to do further work with him. It may be that he explains things properly in the report and that there was a 'method to his madness' as it were
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2012, 07:35 PM
If I were you I'd write formally explaining everything to Roger Mugford at the company of animals. He is a lovely guy and would be horrified to hear of your treatment. Write to him and only him and do a recorded delivery on your letter.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by tiggers mum View Post
If I were you I'd write formally explaining everything to Roger Mugford at the company of animals. He is a lovely guy and would be horrified to hear of your treatment. Write to him and only him and do a recorded delivery on your letter.
I think you might have missed a few pages at the end of this thread
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Wys, it absolutely was due to differences. Roger said that Chirag was obsessed with only using positive reinforcement, yet he believes there must be consequences.
Ah interesting, I did wonder ... consequences are ok but they need to be instructive and fair, so that the dog can understand (hence most people who use "reward based training" or whateve one wants to call it, also use negative punishment if they feel a consequence is needed).

Chirag worked specifically to keen Cain under threshold and never even touched him, he said he believed what I said and didn't need to see it. I think Roger wanted to the reaction for himself....and boy did he get it definitely a clash in methods.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. But I do wish I had my cheque!
Totally agree with the bit in capitals, in fact I nearly wrote this yesterday but didn't have time - you don't always need to see the behaviour, because if you are skilled at taking a good history then you can believe what the owner says (as long as the owner is vaguely sensible!).

Sorry you've not got your cheque. It's all turned out to be a bit of a mess, hasn't it. But perhaps if as suggested you can write to RM then he can sort things out further in some way for you.

Wys
x
dixondog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2012, 08:49 AM
Wot a shame for you although I have to say I do not like RM or his methods,did he actually give you any advise or did he just push cains buttons? I would demand my cheque and stay as far away as poss also did you contact chirag via the comany of animals or personally,I wonder if they had told him he can't talk to you because you are their client and he can't have contact with you whilst you are dealing with them ? Hope that makes sense!
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
But ultimately you know your dog - YOU are the expert on Cain.
Tabitha's comment says it all really. You may not be a behaviourist Amanda but you know a lot about dogs, especially Cain.

From how you have described Cain, he sounds a lot like Max was (and to some extent still is). We saw a behaviourist with Max several years ago (David Appleby) and if he had taken Max into the park, into a group of people, I would probably still be receiving therapy now

You know Cain's limits, you can push him to confront his fears or you can minimise his stress levels and let him take things at his own pace.

I'm sorry that you've had such a frustrating and stressful experience, especially when you are trying so hard to help Cain.
cpatel
New Member!
Male 

07-07-2012, 01:22 AM
Dear Amanda

I tried to send a private message to you but couldn't work it out. Please feel free to email me directly: cpatel@domesticatedmanners.com or ring/text me: 077 2531 0204 and I can get in touch with you.

Regards

Chirag
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 06:36 AM
It's nice to see a professional showing how much they take their responsibilities seriously.

Well done for getting in touch, Chirag - especially as you have had to join to forum to do so
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
It's nice to see a professional showing how much they take their responsibilities seriously.

Well done for getting in touch, Chirag - especially as you have had to join to forum to do so
Ditto, everyone deserves the right to reply.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by cpatel View Post
Dear Amanda

I tried to send a private message to you but couldn't work it out. Please feel free to email me directly: cpatel@domesticatedmanners.com or ring/text me: 077 2531 0204 and I can get in touch with you.

Regards

Chirag
Gotta have a certain number of posts to be able to send PMs if I'm not mistaken.

Nice to see you're trying to get in touch though, hope something can be sorted
Page 10 of 12 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 >