Female 

26-04-2011, 07:54 PM

What time do you feed your dogs?

And why?

smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 08:05 PM
My dogs do not have a routine because I do not and even if I did I do not want my dogs telling me when it is time to eat!

Quite often my dogs do not get free bowls of food, they get their meals during training, I may be travelling or competing at all sorts of different times so they get used to being fed when they get fed.

Perhaps that is one reason why I have never had any problems with appetite! They are so grateful to be fed they will eat anything.

I like to leave at least an hour between food and exercise (unless I am feeding in installments during training) as both my breeds are prone to GDV, but otherwise I feed as and when.

Broadly speaking they get two meals a day (if not fed when training) at about 12 hours apart (very rough). I like their blood sugar levels to remain stable.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Mine eat when I feed them, never a set time.
Rookgeordiegirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 08:09 PM
No set time here either as I often use food in training
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Mine are eating now
Not totaly a set time but they get fed after their last walk

Basicaly it was Ben that set this routine, he just wouldnt eat anything during the day at all (except training treats)
Mia was on 2 meals a day when I got her - but she started to go off her breakfast too

and also because they are raw fed one meal means they can get a big lump of something to eat - 2 meals a day would only be 100g per meal which dosent let me give them much varity in the way of meaty bones - only chickin wings are small enough really
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 08:10 PM
First thing in the morning, anytime between 6:00am and 8:00am depending on what is going on (work, etc.). Then late afternoon between 4:00pm and 5:00pm.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 08:16 PM
Mine get fed at 8am and then 5pm in winter time. When the nights are longer and warmer they get taken for a walk in the evening so they get fed whenever we get back home. If they are training they may get fed as late as 10pm but I do give them something like a banana to keep their blood sugar levels up.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Usually between about 2-4 in the afternoon because that's when it suits us.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Not a set time but they get fed in the morning, sometime around 8.30am, if I'm not there, my Mum feeds them and in the evening, around 6pm... They get fed then, simply cos its convenient!
MarchHound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Thanks everyone.

Minka, the family dog, is fed before the school trip, and then after the family meal, usually between 6 and 9. She is often given something through the day. We never have an issue with appetite, she loves food, and is a beautiful size too.

I cant wait to get my own dog !
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >