Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sam13x
New Member!
Female 

12-07-2017, 07:32 PM

Dry eye - not improving!

Hello, i have a 10 year old male Lhasa Apso who has recently been diagnosed with 'dry eye' meaning he needs drops in atleast twice a day for the rest of his life as far as we know! He got diagnosed around 3 or so weeks ago and has been having the drops in each day however his eyes do not look any better, they are still half closed the majority of the time as though he is struggling to keep them open, he is pretty wide eyes when he is outside walking when hea excited but can barely open them the rest of the time! Does anyone know if this is normal? Will they gradually open more or are they likely to stay like this from now on? He is 100% fine in himself and no changes to his character what so ever so we are positive they arent hurting him otherwise hed be in a constant grump! Thanks!
Sue L
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-07-2017, 08:04 AM
Sorry to read about your poor dog's eyes.

If it were me I would be going back to the vet as he is obviously uncomfortable if his eyes are half shut most of the time. I had a dog with dry eye and was told to put some lubricant in whenever it was necessary but you have to be guided by what your vet tells you as no two dogs are the same.

Hope his eye soon improves and if it is dry eye it will need drops for the rest of his life.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2017, 06:10 PM
Mine suffers from the same.Have to say had tried everything.Brenda,a Dogsey member suggested I try Euphrasia eye drops.They are amazingLacey still gets an occasionally eye infection,which sounds like yours has at the mo.I bathe her eye with boiled water,cooled of course with a little salt added.Apply on a cotton pad,few times a day and also the eye drops.Soon clears upYou'll find its not necessary to apply these drops so often....yes they are that good
I'm no vet and maybe best to check if this is ok for your dog,just saying it's a Godsend for mine
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-07-2017, 10:02 PM
I would go back to the vet.

Twice a day night not be enough. I suffer from dry eye myself and I put eye drops in about every two or three hours .
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-07-2017, 11:59 AM
I assume your vet will have prescribed Optimmune twice daily in the hope that this will improve tear production and 3 weeks is not long enough to see if it has done so. What level of tear production did his Schirmer tear test reveal? As well as Optimmune he should be having very frequent lubricating eye drops - twice a day is not nearly enough. Best drops are Clinitas Soothe (cheapest place Yates & Suddell) and Optixcare Eye Lube Plus for overnight - n.b. not Optixcare Eye Lube Plus with HYALURON and keep eyes as clean as possible. Wind, sun and pollen, etc. will make problem worse, so suggest an Optivizor or Rex Specs.
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-07-2017, 12:10 PM
Sorry - I forgot to mention that he's possibly got a corneal ulcer, which is easily treatable, but you need to go to vets asap