View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Muskrat
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2012, 06:54 PM

When children ask "does your dog bite?"..

What's a nice way of saying "no, but could you leave them alone"?

We were at a pub this evening with the dogs having a meal and the kids who live at the pub or belonged to someone who works there or something were milling around. I let them say hi to the dogs because they don't see kids often and it does Moss good but they were really screechy and excitable kids and Moss was starting to play bow at them and I didn't want him to start mouthing. The owner came and apologised, told the kids to calm down and gave the dogs a chew each, which was nice... But they still wouldn't leave us alone! They're friendly dogs, but as I say they don't see kids often and they're not at all used to screaming children around when they're eating. In the end I took the chews away because I was worried about Emmie snapping at them! I told the kids to leave her alone and they did but because Moss was being silly and playful they didn't seem to get the message.

Grrrrrr kids.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2012, 07:04 PM
They never get a chance I am usually yelling keep back he will bite if anyone approaches us
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-11-2012, 07:26 PM
I would give them evil eyes - that usually works

Seriously, I would just tell them they've had enough excitement for the day now and thank them for playing but could they let the dogs rest now please - then look at the parents. Hopefully they'd take the hint
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-11-2012, 07:35 PM
When children ask "does your dog bite?"..

I use this opening for a spot of training for both dogs and children

I tell the children my dog is scared of them and they could help me train her if they liked. I always have tip bits of some kind with me when out with a dog and give the children a tip bit telling them if they are very quiet and bend down calling my dog to them (not approaching her) they could give her a treat.

This may not be a suitable thing to do with all dogs.
rough
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2012, 07:39 PM
when asked . i always say" well they ain't had their tea yet "
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2012, 07:45 PM
I just say no, and allow the children to give them attention and when we've had enough I tell the dogs to leave the children alone and tell the kids it's part of their training.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by rough View Post
when asked . i always say" well they ain't had their tea yet "
...love it Sal
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2012, 08:49 PM
When we take our dogs into primary schools to teach kids how to stay safe around dogs we can usually put points across quite well, including telling them that's enough.

But it seems to much harder when out and about with them.

I've had one incident (thankfully it was only once) where 2 kids were fussing Yiannis. They did ask first and I said yes but they were getting a little silly and he was getting over excited. So I asked them to stop. They ignored me. I ended up telling them off quite sternly (after being nice about it several times over) and pointing out that if Yiannis nipped them because they were pulling him about they would have only themselves to blame. I got evil stares from the parents but as they were so close and saw/heard everything I don't understand why they didn't call off their offspring.

Any way there was no harm done and fortunately I haven't seen them since.

I think the easiest way to go is that the dog may get too excited and it's art of their training to behave when out in public. So they will have to stop so that the dogs can continue with their training and carry on learning good habits.
Jen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Kids never approach me when I'm with Scooby but that might have something to do with the muzzle...
ZoundsHounds
New Member!
Female 

25-11-2012, 10:28 PM
We'll often just let people know they are friendly but being trained so best not to touch. My boy is fine but my big girl is nervous- people sometimes try to 'win' her over when I say she's nervous, whereas when I say she is in training they stop long enough for us to let them know that they can help if they like and approach her properly.

Having such a chilled out boy helps though- I can redirect people to him
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >