26-09-2012, 07:39 AM

Canagan grain free

http://www.canagan.co.uk/game.html

Anyone tried it?
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Not tried looks good though, not sure it is quite 65% meats though or do you count fats at meat
Not sure I would pay that much for it

1 it's ingredients won't be as healthily bred as Orijens sources, it doesn't mention whether the animals used in the products have had preservers added before they obtain it, although they say that they don't add any themselves.

2 it is about the same price maybe more than Orijen so no point

3 if the money v's product was not an issue but I wanted less meat value than Orijen I would buy Acana same great product but with lower meat values and cheaper than both Orijen and this.

But over all looks good if you have the money, can't testify to if the dogs'll like it though without trying
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 08:04 AM
For me the cost is so close to Orijen without the same quality of ingredients I would not bother. Shame, as I would alway like to support British made products where possible, but if they cannot price it competitively then I am out, as they say on DD.
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Completely agree SB, but out of interest I checked with whichdogfood to see what they thought and also checked on Purizon which was being asked about the other day and both are rated a tiny bit under Orijen, so money wise really not worth it.
http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/produc...agan&x=23&y=21

http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/produc...rizon&x=25&y=9
MilliesWolfheat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Mines better and it has salmon protein only, and it is cheaper as well

just google "Millies Wolfheart"
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 08:05 PM
I have already seen your product, I am afraid I would never feed my dogs with a product that had only ONE source of animal protein in it.

It is the easiest way to sensitise any animal to something.
MilliesWolfheat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-09-2012, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I have already seen your product, I am afraid I would never feed my dogs with a product that had only ONE source of animal protein in it.

It is the easiest way to sensitise any animal to something.
Do you mean wheat, rice, barley? which are in almost every dry food available? thats the way to sensitise
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by MilliesWolfheat View Post
Do you mean wheat, rice, barley? which are in almost every dry food available? thats the way to sensitise
No I mean Salmon (as far as I know wheat, rice, barley are not animal proteins).

And of course there are many foods which are grain free now including

Applaws
Acana
Orijen

to name but 3

And Fish4dogs

An animal can be sensitised to ANY protein, whether animal or plant, complete or incomplete.

HTH
MilliesWolfheat
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-09-2012, 08:52 PM
with all due respect fish is the least likley to cause issues

you stated "An animal can be sensitised to ANY protein, whether animal or plant, complete or incomplete."
yes this is true but for a food to contain several fish species is the same as one single specie.

Further to this by using protein from several sources will potentially stop someone from using that particular food as they believe there dog is intollerant to one of the meat ingredients when it is more likley the dog is intollerant to something elses in the food instead. By producing a food that excludes ingredients that are most likley to cause intollerances in my view is best.
Applaws uses egg which is widely accepted as high potential for allergies (it also imports chicken from Thailand and lamb from New Zealand)
Origen 6 fish includes northern pike which is an apex preditor (bad news may contain mercury) and also has eggs in every product
Acana from memory uses oats (not to be classed as gluten free) for the most and eggs as well apart from the lamb and apple which has no egg just oats

so to simply dissmiss a specific food is wrong, especially when recomending other foods with a higher potential of intollerance or indeed mercury
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Canagan (Salmon version) works out considerably cheaper than Orijen (6 fish version). Canagan 2kg bag = £11.99 and Orijen 2.5kg bag = £21.

Canagan contains 9% ash which is above the average content for dried dog foods.

Canagan has 33% protein and Orijen has 38%. Orijen also has many more inredients (vegetable).

I would love to find a food that my mega sensitive dog could tolerate but as he is blooming on Orijen I am loathed to even try it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >