Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
hopelessdawn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-02-2007, 03:42 PM

How to stop puppy from humping?

Hi everyone we have a 4 -5 mth old maltipoo who trys to hump everyones legs. He also trys to hump other dogs. He was neutered about 1 mth ago (the shelter at work at does early spay/neutor) anyone have any suggestions to get him to stop this? My 9 year old son pushes him off and says "gili that is very inappropriate" LOL

We have been trying to pull him off with leash and say "off" and its been weeks and he doesn't seem to be learning to stop.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2007, 03:47 PM
my friend has a 5yr old papillion and he still humps,my bitches do this all so but only as a im the gaffa hump and then no more humpimg when theyv sorted that out maybe its a im the gaffa hump and not hump hump.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2007, 03:49 PM
its more likely to stop if he is ignored just walk away and tell anyone who's leg he fancies to do the same ...
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Hi Helplessdawn it is normal behaviour for puppies to mount things, if you watch a number of puppies at play they often take it in turns to mount each other .

I look upon it as part of growing up, a rehearsal of adulthood and reproductive behaviour. Hormone surges can add to the problem and although your puppy is neutered he may still have residual amounts of male hormone in his body which will deplete in time.

The best course of action is to distract your puppy with a toy and he should grow out of it in time.
Petstalk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2007, 05:46 PM
I would prob try a sharpe no and put him in a room own short period when does the behaviour, to make a negative exspereince for undesired behaviour.
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Hi helplessdawn,
I've had the same problem with my pup but he's younger at 3 and half months, I asked the same question and followed minihaha's advice and distracted him with toys etc also just turned my back on him and walked away.
The incidents have got less and less and now only does it when having a daft 5 mins usually with the children and when he's been playing and got excited so bear with it..
hopelessdawn
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2007, 11:46 AM
Thanks Everyone!
Loustaff
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-02-2007, 02:08 PM
perhaps try nip it in the bud sooner than later especially if its adults/children he is trying to hump, this is sometimes a way of asserting dominance. he needs to know he is the bottom of the pack after all humans... my young dog has never attempted to hump a thing bar my bitch, or she has tried to hump him. i say 'naughty'. they stop. i think if your pup learns that he is not amongst any humans in the pack he will stop doing this. my 2 dogs know they are at the bottom in our household, which is why i suspect they only tried it with each other to work out the order between themselves.