Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2010, 08:36 AM

Connors first sheepdog trial

Well we did it, On Sunday we entered our first sheepdog trial and we came 3'rd out of 8 in the New Handlers part of a nursery trial.

The sheep where very fast and everyone had problems with them. But Connor tried his hardest to get them under control and I was really chuffed that he didn't get too frustrated and bite as so many of the other dogs did.

It was hardly the "dream round" that I had rehearesed in my head, throughout the two previous sleepless nights, but it was free from bloodshed and we kept all the sheep on the course and he did the biggest outrun of his life and stopped at the end of it, so that was a pretty good start.

Well done ma boy! Trial number two next week!
fayeily
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Congratulations!
Well done Connor! xx
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Well done Denise, are these trials local to you? Having collies of my own (who have no herding instincts BTW), i'm fascinated by the working side of them.
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Well done Denise, are these trials local to you? Having collies of my own (who have no herding instincts BTW), i'm fascinated by the working side of them.
No they where not local Im afraid. Im in the midlands. This trial was in Lancashire and the next one further still, in the lake district. I will hopefully be doing Nursery trials when winter cmes and there will be some more local ones, but the two up north are for new handlers so rally basic and you can train on the field which is ideal to start and therfore worth the Journey.

Seeing a dog work, makes my heart sing too!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 01:57 PM
I'm in the same area as you so thats why I was asking if they were local.

I tend to attend gundog events as thats my main discipline and leave the poor collies out so it would be nice to see some working sheepdogs for a change rather than labs and spaniels!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-09-2010, 04:41 PM
Congratulations, that sounds like a really promising start