Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 07:27 AM

Tilly really spooked last night

Last night was awful, Daughter had a friend round for a drink. I was sat in the living room & just saw this girl run across the hall away from Tilly squealing "I'm scared of dogs" Tilly is used to strangers coming in & saying hello to her & rolling over at their feet, but this girl really spooked her & she ran to me cowering & shaking.
That was it for the evening, when the girl tried to come into the living room, Tilly barked at her & growled. So they sat in the ktichen & I stayed with Tilly laying on my knee panting all evening. Daughter came over at one point & Tilly snapped at her so daughter hit her with a cushion.
Then later on when my son came home, although she got excited at seeing him when he stroked her, she went for him too.
As the evening wore on I went into the kitchen for a cigarette & Tilly followed me. She was cowering between my legs & still scared of the girl. I gave the girl some treats to give to her, but she took the treat & ran back between my legs. I eventually went to bed & took Tilly with me, as the girls were getting louder & trying to play with Tilly. I was worried she was really going to turn on them. The drinking session downstairs didn't finish until 3am. I was really annoyed (though enjoyed my pay back turfing daughter out of bed at 5am for work)

Is this some sort of nervous agression thing?
I thought it could be the way the girl came into the house. I also thought the girl was very blonde like the groomer who Tilly was spooked by last week. Also bearing in mind she is in season.
collies4ever
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Well if the girl is a friend of your daughter, wouldn't she already know that you had a dog?
It probably was her running about and screaming that scared poor Tilly. Dogs can pick up if people are wary of them.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by collies4ever View Post
Well if the girl is a friend of your daughter, wouldn't she already know that you had a dog?
It probably was her running about and screaming that scared poor Tilly. Dogs can pick up if people are wary of them.
Daughter has only recently moved back in part time so friend has never been here.
Of cause hub was at work so I didn't know what to do other than go to bed with Tilly who only comes on the bed occasionally so she thought it was great.
I'm now thinking about evicting the kids ! I'm going to make a new rule "Once you move you can't come back" they do my head in & I'm sure it's unsettling for Tilly,all the comings & goings.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 12:54 PM
Unfortunately that is very much a collie trait - something will scare them and they will remember it forever, though with consistent work, you can help her overcome it.

It does certainly sound like fear aggression.

Although it is very difficult to do, when she is scared over something, it really isn't a good idea to cuddle and fuss her - this just reinforces that there is something to worry about and that she is getting rewarded for being scared. Distraction is the best way to deal with it - playing a game or doing some trick training, however, I appreciate that sometimes they are just too scared to pay attention and would not be willing to play or work for treats.

This is definitely something you are going to have to watch. In future, if you have visitors that you think she may be scared of, i would suggest putting her somewhere else first, getting the guest to sit in the living room and then letting Tilly come into the room. You should all just carry on a normal conversation with no-one giving Tilly any attention. She should then relax and then realise that the person is not a threat.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Unfortunately that is very much a collie trait - something will scare them and they will remember it forever, though with consistent work, you can help her overcome it.

It does certainly sound like fear aggression.

Although it is very difficult to do, when she is scared over something, it really isn't a good idea to cuddle and fuss her - this just reinforces that there is something to worry about and that she is getting rewarded for being scared. Distraction is the best way to deal with it - playing a game or doing some trick training, however, I appreciate that sometimes they are just too scared to pay attention and would not be willing to play or work for treats.

This is definitely something you are going to have to watch. In future, if you have visitors that you think she may be scared of, i would suggest putting her somewhere else first, getting the guest to sit in the living room and then letting Tilly come into the room. You should all just carry on a normal conversation with no-one giving Tilly any attention. She should then relax and then realise that the person is not a threat.
Thanks Hali - so I guess I've done the wrong thing then making a fuss of her! I've never seen her like this before & there's loads of comings & goings here. I s'pose I was a bit chuffed that she was coming to me for protection, she plonked herself on my lap & is she is not a lap dog - I see what you mean though -
get scared = get made a fuss of hmmmm I've learnt something new must try that again! oh I hope not.
Other daughter's friend has been in today & Tilly was her usual self (though she is a regular.)
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Glad to hear that Tilly has been fine with other friends in the house today, even though she's a regularly, its always good to have positive experiences after negative.

I know just what you mean about the feeling when they come to you for protection.

Dealing with them when they're scared is such a fine balance. on the one hand you have to show them that there is nothing to be scared of and that it is not a threat and retaining their trust.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Update - that same girl I posted about in July came round again last night, walked in normally to be barked and growled at by Tilly who then sat on my feet shaking & skulked round all evening. I can't believe she remembered her after all this time & the amount of kids mates that come round have never bothered her. This particualr girl must be the only human on the planet Tilly doesn't like, it's weird!!
(I suggested when she had left to daughter that she must be evil & don't bring her round any more )
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Have to agree with Hali, they can have a bad experience and remember the person involved, her obvious over reaction to Tilly rattled her, but at the same time she could become over protective of you if she thinks this girl is seeming dangerous to Tilly. Good luck with the girl it sounds like she needs training on how to behave when meeting a dog
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2009, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint
I can't believe she remembered her after all this time & the amount of kids mates that come round have never bothered her.
As I've found out - the nasty way - dogs have very long memories for people who have upset them. We had neighbours from hell for 2 years (now gone) and the teenage boys would shout, tease, wind up and throw things at Merlin, and also scream & shout at me over the fence. Then they looked all shocked & surprised and got all arsy if the dog spotted them in the street and went 'into one' barking at them....and called him a dangerous dog.... Grrrr!

Sadly some people have so little brain themselves they think it's 'only an animal' and have no idea their actions can have repercussions, possibly long term. I doubt Merlin will ever forget those yobs.

Originally Posted by Emrad View Post
Good luck with the girl it sounds like she needs training on how to behave when meeting a dog
She's certainly going to need some training before she's ever invited round again or the dog will never forget!