Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post

Thanks for the book recommendation! Did you ever read Fast Food Nation? It's a few years ago now:
was that the american guy who ate nothing but macdonalds for a month?

it made me almost physically sick watching that!!
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 08:11 PM
I think there is a bit of brainwashing on both sides actually, as a lot of so called health foods are often no more healthy than others.

It's how we, in our temperate climate have evolved to be omnivores. Yes I know all that clap about us not being designed to eat meat as it rots in our gut as it is too long from being designed to digest plant matter..... I know it coz I used to spout that myself. They forget to mention some people who have had colonics have had traces of breast milk in their gut when they are fully grown, so AL food finds a little hidey place in there.

In the arctic circle some populations eat practically nothing but meat, but us down here have more selection, and we have chosen, as humans to farm and cultivate.
There are not many complete proteins outside animal products so I wonder if the world would be able to produce all the protein that the population would require, without the food combining vegetarians have to do.

I want to live, and I mean live not just exist, that means I like to experience extremes in most things, and wide variety of things in life.... and that includes tastes. Being veggie just doesn't cut it I'm afraid.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post

Is that 'Super Size Me'?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Size-D...4968581&sr=8-1
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Is that 'Super Size Me'?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Size-D...4968581&sr=8-1
Sorry yes thats the one!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post

...watching that film had the opposite effect on me. Made me crave a Big Mac or two.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
I think there is a bit of brainwashing on both sides actually, as a lot of so called health foods are often no more healthy than others.

It's how we, in our temperate climate have evolved to be omnivores. Yes I know all that clap about us not being designed to eat meat as it rots in our gut as it is too long from being designed to digest plant matter..... I know it coz I used to spout that myself. They forget to mention some people who have had colonics have had traces of breast milk in their gut when they are fully grown, so AL food finds a little hidey place in there.

In the arctic circle some populations eat practically nothing but meat, but us down here have more selection, and we have chosen, as humans to farm and cultivate.
There are not many complete proteins outside animal products so I wonder if the world would be able to produce all the protein that the population would require, without the food combining vegetarians have to do.

I want to live, and I mean live not just exist, that means I like to experience extremes in most things, and wide variety of things in life.... and that includes tastes. Being veggie just doesn't cut it I'm afraid.
In my experience, I genuinely didn't find that. When I was a vegetarian all my family were meat eaters, my partner and friends too, but I never tried to convert them. I did find though, that people could not seem to 'get' my choice and pulled faces, questioned me, etc. etc. My nut roast at Christmas was the source of much amusement and derision but I never questioned their penchant for a dead turkey on the table.

It reminds me a bit of alcohol - my OH has always been tee-total and many of his drinking friends have tried for years to get him to drink, taken the mick, etc. yet he doesn't try to get them to give it up. I like wine but am perfectly happy for him to drink tea, or whatever. More wine for me, yay!

I don't regard eating meat as experiencing an extreme. Dangerous sports or illicit drugs perhaps but not meat. I never liked beef/steak so as an experience it was disappointing.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Our whole family are veggies, my sister was told to avoid chicken because of the hormones in them when she had some serious health issues.

The dogs are mainly raw fed though.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 08:40 PM
I've been a veggie for 24 years and would NEVER go back to eating meat. I cannot understand how you can be a true veggie and revert back to meat eating.

But, that's because I stopped eating meat because the thought of it grossed me out (the texture and the idea that it's really flesh), I'm not a strict veggie (I love my seafood too much) and I am NOT in it for the poor little cows.

Meat is disgusting. There is nothing worse than the smell of lamb, seeing someone rip flesh off the bone and the sight of blood pouring our of a rare steak is the stuff horror movies are made of for me.

Fortunately hubbie is also a veggie ;o)

I think veganism is nuts but I admire anyone who is a strict vegetarian.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
...watching that film had the opposite effect on me. Made me crave a Big Mac or two.
Me too.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Me too.
what are you 2 like!!! the thing that i remember the most about that film was him throwing up!
Page 8 of 25 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 > Last »