Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 12:25 AM

puppy humping??

pup is 5 months, and about 2 weeks odd old, two days ago he walked up to my boyfs leg.foot, mounted it and started to hump!?? i stopped it instantly and was fairly shocked, the thing is i dont think it was sexual i think it was more dominance over my partner??

isnt 5 months a little early to be doing this?

do you think it was more dominace?

any advice welcome! i stopped it right away and would not allow him to do it in any way shape or form to anything!

Thanks!
mse2ponder
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 12:56 AM
i'm not convinced this kind of thing is always dominance related.. i think it often can be just borne out of excitement or even stem from the sexual maturation..

anyway.. when Snip was around that age, he did it once. my cousin (the humpee) and i were so embarrassed we got up and walked away.. and he never did it again! i'm sure more experienced people may have better advice, but this worked for me when i was 11!
Leema
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-03-2008, 05:17 AM
I, also, don't think this is related to dominance or sex purely. Apparently it can also be stress related and I think also habitual.

I would suggest disengaging from the behaviour (e.g. walking off) and ignoring the dog for a time. He is probably experimenting with the behaviour and, if it's not rewarded now, he will hopefully stop displaying it!
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 08:12 AM
It's more than likely displacement activity, simply didn't know what else to do. I wouldn't worry too much unless it starts to become a habit, just tell him no or distract him with something else when he does it.
Becky
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
It's more than likely displacement activity, simply didn't know what else to do. I wouldn't worry too much unless it starts to become a habit, just tell him no or distract him with something else when he does it.
Becky
I thought this too, as Bruce is only 13 1/2 weeks, and when playing with Skye, he sometimes does it to her head!!!!!!!!!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Don't think I have known a puppy, dog or bitch, who did not do this at some time before they become adult and may do it even when adult when they are excited about something. Of course, you need to discourage it humping people is not to be allowed but toys or other dogs will do no one harm.

No need for shock even baby boys will 'play' with themselves when you change a nappy, it is normal and all part of the need to experiment in the young.
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2008, 11:53 AM
lol!! ok thanks!!! he hasnt done it since!!! i will keep a eye out, he def wasnt stressed he seemed very happy!! :P
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 05:39 PM
lol are dylan has been castrated he still trys it with my leg , the first time he did it ,he was really small i thought NO WAY but yes that was just what he was doing lol
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
pup is 5 months, and about 2 weeks odd old, two days ago he walked up to my boyfs leg.foot, mounted it and started to hump!?? i stopped it instantly and was fairly shocked, the thing is i dont think it was sexual i think it was more dominance over my partner??

isnt 5 months a little early to be doing this?

do you think it was more dominace?

any advice welcome! i stopped it right away and would not allow him to do it in any way shape or form to anything!

Thanks!

Oh bless him, it's a boy thing, I shouldn't worry too much about it. Walk away when he does it and that should stop him. You didn't tell us how your b/f reacted. I bet he was mortified!!
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-03-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Fliggle View Post

Oh bless him, it's a boy thing, I shouldn't worry too much about it. Walk away when he does it and that should stop him. You didn't tell us how your b/f reacted. I bet he was mortified!!
[/B][/I][/COLOR]
he didnt even realise!! he was watching the tv!!!!

i was the one who was like 'nooooooooooo'! and told him no! the boyf was like 'eh? did you say something!?'

hehe!