Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
OzBoz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-04-2005, 01:09 PM

Help with toilet training please!!!

Hope some of you can give me some pointers on this one, I'm nearly tearing my hair out (when I'm not skidding on wee puddles...)

Maggie the pup is not doing too well with the toilet training thang. With Oscar I would make a loud noise to stop him mid stream, whip him out into the garden and then praised like mad and give titbits. However, Maggie, being rather a shy girl doesn't like to go in front of anyone. I've caught her a couple of times and took her out, but the shock of it makes her 'dry up' and as soon as I've taken her back in and turned my back, she wees again. I've held back now as I don't want her to become paranoid about the whole thing and deliberately hide wees and poos. At one point she was almost consistently going on the paper/pee pads, so I thought fair enough, I can do it that way and gradually move them out. However last night she pooed in the living room when hubby was in the kitchen and this morning in the hallway - both times she had full access to the paper....
I have caught her weeing outside a few times and I've really praised her, loads of fuss and treats, but she's just not getting it.....

She also will go in her crate and wee/poo in there too......

Any suggestions are more than welcome!!!!! Plllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaseeeeeeeeee
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-04-2005, 01:12 PM
How old is Maggie?
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2005, 01:13 PM
hope some better advice is along soon ...i always think it's us owners who are trained at this time ....to be around and know when they need to go out ( not always possible)......... i have never trained on paper and have never had a problem ..don't know if thats a good thing or not......

all you can do is watch like a hawk until the penny drops

and it will
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2005, 01:22 PM
I agree with Inca

Just make sure that you know when she needs to go, ie. after a meal, when she wakes up, etc. Maybe you could try one of those pee posts? (see hints and tips section).

Also make sure you're cleaning the puddles well, I used diluted vinegar as I read in various places that it removes the smell completely and stops them going back to it.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2005, 01:23 PM
I agree with inca, you need to watch her every minute of the day, and take her out at regular intervals of say 20 mins depending on her age (?), every time she gets excited, wakes up, has a drink, get her into a routine and stick to it, we have all been in that situation where it seems the pup is going backwards instead of making progress but trust us it will work!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-04-2005, 01:26 PM
it is hard work but we all get there in the end. Star was 6 months before I could trust her not to pee in the house. Now she will hold it in for ages
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-04-2005, 01:34 PM
I have always taken my dogs as pups to the bottom of the back garden, and not gone back into the house until the deed is done, it takes about three weeks, but well worth it in the end, they both will only soil on grass, not on any man made surface.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2005, 01:43 PM
same here I have spend many hrs under the umbrella ...in the freezing cold praying for the pup to pee............lol
Housedog
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Great minds Inca,lol.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-04-2005, 01:47 PM
have even eaten the morning toast out there as well ....cuppa in the other hand

ring any bells ?? LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >