Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2010, 05:28 PM

Toilet Training [first Day]

ok

This is my first day owning a new dog........Theo is a golden labrador and a right sweetie.

First day has been good but just a little help or reassurance needed..

After his tea he was taken outside and successfully done his first poo for me........

With his tea he cleared one bowl of water and i gave him another .

After his success he came in and weed.

I took him outside ... he came in and he weed........took him outside and he came in and weed............

First question ........should I of given him another bowl of water.

AND am I doing right taking him outside after every wee inside.........

thanks for any help....

jo
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-09-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by jols! View Post
ok

This is my first day owning a new dog........Theo is a golden labrador and a right sweetie.

First day has been good but just a little help or reassurance needed..

After his tea he was taken outside and successfully done his first poo for me........

With his tea he cleared one bowl of water and i gave him another .

After his success he came in and weed.

I took him outside ... he came in and he weed........took him outside and he came in and weed............

First question ........should I of given him another bowl of water.

AND am I doing right taking him outside after every wee inside.........

thanks for any help....

jo
Hi Jols puppies are not able to control their bodily functions and don't usually begin to do so until around 4 months of age. Until he can wait to go out you can take your puppy out and teach him the behaviour you require.

To do this take him outside to the place you wish him to use to relieve himself at the times he will most likely need to go out, that is after sleep/food/play/excitement/first thing in the morning/last thing at night, about once every hours and when he sniffs the ground and circles. You will need to watch him like a hawk to catch him in time

There will be accidents and it is best to ignore these completely (if you punish him he may be reluctant to go in your presence or may eat the evidence) and throughly clean the soiled areas with biological washing powder to remove the scent .

When he relieves himself outside give a treat and lots of praise so it becomes a rewarding experience and he will want to repeat it (gradually stop the treats when he has got the idea but continue to praise).
It is very important that your puppy has access to fresh water at all times.
Vickyd1987
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2010, 05:56 PM
Hi Jo!

I'm currently toilet training my 9 week old pug. a few things i have read and learnt along the way;

When pup has accident inside, pick him up and take him outside.

When pup does the deed outside, have a treat ready and lots of fuss.

Also having command words like "wee wee's. poo poo's" whenever he does the deed, he then may learn to go on command

I believe pup should always have a bowl of fresh water out.

Puppies generally after eating will need to wee within 15 mins and poo within 30 mins.

Hope this helps
Loopylouc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Luckily Sam has been pretty good, a few poops in the house and a few piddles, but for the most part he's gone outside.

But when I go to work for the full morning obviously he can't go out, so I bought some puppy training pads. I don't know if they have some scent that draws the puppy to them, but everytime I've put one out that's been the only place he's peed, so they might be worth investing in.

I have noticed though that Sam will only pee if there's someone about, he doesn't like to pee alone But for poos when I see him sniffing madly around the yard I have to hide out of the way before he'll do them. So maybe your puppy prefers the opposite of whatever you're doing now?
vgstar44
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Hello

we are still in the process of potty training our 15 week old cocker.

Slowly but surley we are getting there.

Our biggest drawback was those daft puppy pads that we thought were a fab idea.
Weeks of training him to go on these and we had amazing sucess. He was constantly weeing and pooing on it at the back door. Only for us to then realise they were too effective and he would go outside after a walk only to rush in to use the pad!!!!

we have basically went right back to the start. Taking him outside when he has woken up, every hour or so and after meals.
We invested in a crate too which was a great help. He goes in it all night and wakes us up if he needs by crying.
If during the day we take him outside and he doesnt do his buisness we put him in his crate for 10 mins or so and then back outside. Works a treat.

Still having the odd accident but its starting to be alot easier than it first was. Thought i was wrecking the planet with the amount of kitchen roll i was going through

So much more work than kids
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all the advice..........................Taking him out every hour on the hour.....

Last night he had a great night only two whines..........woke up this moring to find his crate full of poop and walked about in.....oh joy...............

So should i of got up when he whined and took him outside?

AND a lesson learnt for me dont put big plump cushions in his crate......stick to newspaper and old towel......
Loopylouc
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2010, 08:26 AM
I take Sam out if he whines through the night. He was whining as soon as the door was shut but I ignored that. But I assumed he'd woken because he needed a wee.
Vickyd1987
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2010, 08:28 AM
Oh dear, I would recommend getting up when he whines yes, it could mean he needs potty, but do make him aware its not play time, if nessacary dont talk, lights off and use a torch.

It may mean some broken nights sleep, however will be worth it in the long run
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2010, 08:32 AM
ok I will get up if he whines......................this is a massive learning curve but I believe it is all going to be worth it...........................
sarah0126
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-09-2010, 08:35 AM
Hi,

I have a yellow lab she is now 11 months but we went through the toilet training when we first got her at 10 weeks.
I would reccomend a crate it worked well for us like the above post says if they whine when you first put them in ignore them but if there is a whine in the night let him out.
Also we got some 'spray and get off' for the accidents inside which helped prevent her from weeing on the carpet.
When we got out I usually say ' come on then go for a wee' and she does so.
You will adapt your own style of how to do things everyone does it their own way.
Be patient too sometimes i felt like ripping my hair out when you think your getting somewhere then you come across a wet patch, but by 4 months she was fully toilet trained and we took her crate away. Now she sleeps on the her sofa lol.
Good luck!!
Sarah
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >