Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
traceyjane
New Member!
Female 

23-05-2010, 01:01 PM

Time to say goodbye :(

Hello again. You might remember me - I joined in March when I was seeking advice about my 20year old Yorkie - Toby. You were all fantastic and so kind.

If you remember, my vet had told me that it wasn't necessarily time to put Toby to sleep just because he was deaf, blind, his back legs had gone, he was totally incontinent and had various other ailments.

I didn't listen to the saying did I? "Better a day too early than an hour too late". I just listened to what I wanted to hear

In the last two weeks Toby has got worse. Whereas two months ago he was incontinent but knew he had done it and went off to hide...........he doesn't even know he's doing it now and just walks through it or even does it as he is walking.

He has started walking into walls and getting frustrated - he just can't see the door when he needs to get out.

Enough is enough I thought. I made that call yesterday and spoke to a different vet at the same surgery and his words were "I'm sorry Tracey but it's time - he hasn't got much longer left now anyway so don't let him spend his last days in this way"

I don't know if its a sign but from the minute I made that call yesterday at lunchtime, Toby has got MUCH worse. He has started whimpering in pain (which he has never, ever done before) and when I went to pick him up to comfort him he yelped out loud went to bite me. That isn't my Toby.

I haven't stopped sobbing for the last 24hours and my eyes are so swollen I can hardly see but this time I will see it through. I am doing it for my darling boy.

I am sure that I will look back in a few weeks and smile and know that I've done the right thing but today I hate myself. My last day with my gorgeous boy who has been with me for half my life

Thanks for listening. I just had to talk to someone who might care

xxxxx
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Aww I'm so sorry. It's a hard decision but the last thing you can do for your faithful friend. Enjoy your day with him there are plenty of time for the tears. Easier said than done, I know, I clearly remember my last walk with Sam before I took him I cried all the way. People must have thought I was mad. The tears are welling as I think about it. It's the right thing to do but it's heartbreaking. Try to stay strong most of here know what you are going through. Hugs to you and gentle ones for your boy. We're all here for you.
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Im so sorry to hear this Traceyjane.

Big hugs to you both

Alex
xxx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 01:19 PM
I really feel for you - its one of the hardest things we ever have to do.

But this time you know the time is right and that will keep you strong...just remember you are doing it for him, not for yourself. It doesn't make the pain any less, but it does give you a kind of peace inside that you know you've done the right thing.

big hugs. x
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I have no words. Just wanted to let you know I will be thinking of you and Toby. You have made the hardest decision a dog owner can make but because you love him you are doing the right thing, it just doesn't seem like it at the time.

Hugs to you xx
wufflehoond
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 01:29 PM
So very sorry but as the others have said, you've just made the most difficult decision and we're all here if you need us. xx
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 01:29 PM
Console yourself by knowing you're doing the right thing by him.. we will be thinking of you and Toby xx
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm sorry I know just how you feel......

Thinking of you and Toby x
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by traceyjane View Post
Hello again. You might remember me - I joined in March when I was seeking advice about my 20year old Yorkie - Toby. You were all fantastic and so kind.

If you remember, my vet had told me that it wasn't necessarily time to put Toby to sleep just because he was deaf, blind, his back legs had gone, he was totally incontinent and had various other ailments.

I didn't listen to the saying did I? "Better a day too early than an hour too late". I just listened to what I wanted to hear

In the last two weeks Toby has got worse. Whereas two

months ago he was incontinent but knew he had done it and went off to hide...........he doesn't even know he's doing it now and just walks through it or even does it as he is walking.

He has started walking into walls and getting frustrated - he
just can't see the door when he needs to get out.

Enough is enough I thought. I made that call yesterday and spoke to a different vet at the same surgery and his words were "I'm sorry Tracey but it's time - he hasn't got much
Mlonger left now anyway so don't let him spend his last days in this way"

I don't know if its a sign but from the minute I made that call yesterday at lunchtime, Toby has got MUCH worse. He has started whimpering in pain (which he has never, ever done before) and when I went to pick him up to comfort him
he yelped out loud went to bite me. That isn't my Toby.

I haven't stopped sobbing for the last 24hours and my eyes are so swollen I can hardly see but this time I will see it through. I am doing it for my darling boy.

I am sure that I will look back in a few weeks and smile and know that I've done the right thing but today I hate myself. My last day with my gorgeous boy who has been with me for half my life

Thanks for listening. I just had to talk to someone who might care

xxxxx
You are doing the last thing you can for him out of love, helping him on his way to a life over the bridge where he will run wild & free. He will never leave you as he will be in your heart forever.

Thinking of you xx
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-05-2010, 03:23 PM
So sorry for you having to make this final journey with your boy.
We have all been there and feel for you, but this final journey will be the most loving journey you have made with him, it is one of the most selfless things done out of pure love for your boy xxxxxxxxxxxx

Best wishes to you and hugs xxxxxxxxxxxx
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >