Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MarshallS
New Member!
Male 

25-07-2009, 04:16 PM

Hip Displaysia and Aging Can I Help her? :-(

My Maddy is approximately 13 years old and a border collie/chow mix. At 18 months, I learned that she had displaysia. My options were limited because of her size so a hip replacement wasn't available. I went with a femoral head osectomy and she was much better for many years. Now, she's much older and I can tell that the other hip is starting to cause her difficulty. I wish now that I had her other hip done while she was still young, but the Dr. discouraged that and now I don't know what to do. I was told that aspirin would help, and she was taking some kind of dog MSM which seemed to help. The asprin also helps. I've looked at the vet options, but the meds seem to be very risky and have the potential to cause serious issues even death. I'm in a financial hole right now, but if I thought she could take the other surgery or that some type of treatment were available, I would find a way to pay for it. She still plays from time to time, and seems happy. I am trying to keep her weight down, and she gets one baby aspirin in the AM with her food, and two in the evening feeding.

Note: I know that many dog lovers have strong opinions about aspirin and some of you may be tempted to admonish me, but I ask that you please don't beat me up based on opinion or on conjecture or personal feelings as my motives are pure and based on my investigation it seems like the safest option, but I haven't found any science on the subject. I understand that vets are even split on this issue, but I know what the research says about products like Rimadyl and Robaxin and those scare me far worse than aspirin. On that note, her hip surgeon told me to give her half a bufferin twice a day post major surgery, in addition to my current vet ok'ing it. Mostly remember that I love her more than life and I'm afraid and sad about what's coming, and have come here for help and guidance. Having someone tell me how awful or irresponsible I am for pursuing what my research has found to be the safest effective option to help my best friend would break my heart. That said, if anyone can point me to research that says baby aspirin is more risky that the vet prescribed alternatives, I welcome those sources and assistance.

My questions are:
1. Is she too old for a second osectomy?
2. We have tile floors and she struggles to get up on the slick floor, could her nails be part of the problem?
3. Is walking her daily a good idea?
4. My vet said baby aspirin is fine, but I'm confused by all of the different opinions, what does the science say?
5. Could a steroid injection like they give people help her?
6. What other things can I do to help her get stronger and keep her comfortable while I still have her with me?

I know a time will come when the humane decision will have to be made, but I think she still has at least 2 years if I can do anything to help.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Marshall
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2009, 04:34 PM

Glucosamine
is good for joints & hydrotherapy(swimming in a special dog pool)will help build up the muscle in the hind legs without the problems caused by walking a dysplasic dog.

I wouldn't give aspirin as it can cause stomach bleeds & isn't a very effective pain killer
Bucksmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2009, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by MarshallS View Post
My Maddy is approximately 13 years old and a border collie/chow mix. At 18 months, I learned that she had displaysia. My options were limited because of her size so a hip replacement wasn't available. I went with a femoral head osectomy and she was much better for many years. Now, she's much older and I can tell that the other hip is starting to cause her difficulty. I wish now that I had her other hip done while she was still young, but the Dr. discouraged that and now I don't know what to do. I was told that aspirin would help, and she was taking some kind of dog MSM which seemed to help. The asprin also helps. I've looked at the vet options, but the meds seem to be very risky and have the potential to cause serious issues even death. I'm in a financial hole right now, but if I thought she could take the other surgery or that some type of treatment were available, I would find a way to pay for it. She still plays from time to time, and seems happy. I am trying to keep her weight down, and she gets one baby aspirin in the AM with her food, and two in the evening feeding.

Note: I know that many dog lovers have strong opinions about aspirin and some of you may be tempted to admonish me, but I ask that you please don't beat me up based on opinion or on conjecture or personal feelings as my motives are pure and based on my investigation it seems like the safest option, but I haven't found any science on the subject. I understand that vets are even split on this issue, but I know what the research says about products like Rimadyl and Robaxin and those scare me far worse than aspirin. On that note, her hip surgeon told me to give her half a bufferin twice a day post major surgery, in addition to my current vet ok'ing it. Mostly remember that I love her more than life and I'm afraid and sad about what's coming, and have come here for help and guidance. Having someone tell me how awful or irresponsible I am for pursuing what my research has found to be the safest effective option to help my best friend would break my heart. That said, if anyone can point me to research that says baby aspirin is more risky that the vet prescribed alternatives, I welcome those sources and assistance.

My questions are:
1. Is she too old for a second osectomy?
2. We have tile floors and she struggles to get up on the slick floor, could her nails be part of the problem?
3. Is walking her daily a good idea?
4. My vet said baby aspirin is fine, but I'm confused by all of the different opinions, what does the science say?
5. Could a steroid injection like they give people help her?
6. What other things can I do to help her get stronger and keep her comfortable while I still have her with me?

I know a time will come when the humane decision will have to be made, but I think she still has at least 2 years if I can do anything to help.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Marshall
I'm so sorry to hear your poor girl is struggling.I have no experience with hip ops i'm afraid but i have had a lot of success with accupuncture for pain relief.I wouldn't ever critizise you for your approach,sounds like you have done alot of research to help your girl.I had a spaniel that had vestibular syndrome as a result of rimadyl so completely see where you're coming from.Hope somebody else will come along in a min with a bit more help,bless her.
MarshallS
New Member!
Male 

25-07-2009, 04:56 PM
She is mortified of water and has been since she was a puppy. Looking back, I think she feared water because it hurt her to try and swim with the unformed joint. I take a glucosamine supplement daily because of many sports related surgeries one one knee and both shoulders and a hand and I think it works, but I don't have a ball shaped head slipping in and out of a limited socket. Also, when I really hurt in those areas, I take something else for it.

Can you recommend a website that tells me more about the water therapy?
MarshallS
New Member!
Male 

25-07-2009, 05:12 PM
Thank you Bucksmum for your supportive words. I have tears in my eyes right now. I have done my research, but every time I face this issue it's so upsetting that I have to put it down after a while.

When it comes time, I'll do the right thing for her, but I just don't believe we are there yet.

I had not heard about vestibular syndrome, but I just read up on it, and that's yet another in a long line of reasons I rejected that option. Sometimes, I fear that vets mean well, and that dog meds are presented to them as miracle cures and the potential negative effects are downplayed. The new flea/tick/worm products that you put on their neck is a prime example, it seems great, but if you read the fine print, the dangers seem to outweigh the benefits. Also, unlike human medications which have trials where side effects can be discussed, vet med researchers are limited to simply observation, eating habits and blood tests. All of these are important, but unless they love the dogs they are doing the trials on and know their habits and behaviors, it's very difficult for them to identify behaviors that might be signs of discomfort/side effects.

God bless you for your support,

Marshall
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Originally Posted by MarshallS View Post
She is mortified of water and has been since she was a puppy. Looking back, I think she feared water because it hurt her to try and swim with the unformed joint. I take a glucosamine supplement daily because of many sports related surgeries one one knee and both shoulders and a hand and I think it works, but I don't have a ball shaped head slipping in and out of a limited socket. Also, when I really hurt in those areas, I take something else for it.

Can you recommend a website that tells me more about the water therapy?

Website USA, Website UK

Glucosamine is recommended for use with dysplasic dogs by vets here in the UK
MarshallS
New Member!
Male 

25-07-2009, 05:45 PM
JoeDee,

I failed to thank you for your response. I appreciate you taking the time to share your recommendations. I used the "ask a vet" feature and she echo'd my fear of Rimadyl, but suggested tramadol and an injection called Adequan.

I continue to welcome any suggestions from people that have experience with this type of situation.

Thank you sincerely,

Marshall
Bucksmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-07-2009, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=MarshallS;1741245]Thank you Bucksmum for your supportive words. I have tears in my eyes right now. I have done my research, but every time I face this issue it's so upsetting that I have to put it down after a while.

When it comes time, I'll do the right thing for her, but I just don't believe we are there yet.

I had not heard about vestibular syndrome, but I just read up on it, and that's yet another in a long line of reasons I rejected that option. Sometimes, I fear that vets mean well, and that dog meds are presented to them as miracle cures and the potential negative effects are downplayed. The new flea/tick/worm products that you put on their neck is a prime example, it seems great, but if you read the fine print, the dangers seem to outweigh the benefits. Also, unlike human medications which have trials where side effects can be discussed, vet med researchers are limited to simply observation, eating habits and blood tests. All of these are important, but unless they love the dogs they are doing the trials on and know their habits and behaviors, it's very difficult for them to identify behaviors that might be signs of discomfort/side effects.

God bless you for your support,

Marshall[/QUOTE
She is a very lucky girl to have you as her carer,if only all dog owners were as knowledgable and dedicated as yourself xx
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2009, 06:46 PM
To give the other side of the coin.. Selkie my Samoyed is also 13, has hip and joint problems and was like your girl beginning to really struggle, so much so that last year I prepared myself to lose her. She has glucosamine supplements and green lipped muscle powder in her food, but like your girl cant swim and has a fear of water.

As a last ditch we tried rimadyl. She has half a tablet once a day, every day and can have two times a day if it's a long day and I think she'll need it (beach walks or trips etc)...

It has been a miracle. She is clearly pain free and much happier, within a week of starting the treatments she was jumping into the car again, (something I never thought I'd see again) and has been able to sleep in her favourite spot at the top of the stairs again.

Like you, I have researched and I know the possible complications of Rimadyl, but on the other hand. Surgery is not an option for her, she's too old to even consider it and nothing else was working. I could lose her through complications of the rimadyl, but I would happily trade two more years of life in pain for one more year with my happy pain free girl... So far we have seen no side effects at all of the treatment.

Best wishes and good luck with whatever you decide.