Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-09-2011, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
she won't be allergic to chicken - it will be the rice that upset her so.
some dogs are allergic to chicken it is one of the worst protein sources for allergies but likely to affect skin not stomach or intestines
abc123
New Member!
Female 

16-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Louis has just had his last dose of granofen wormer. I did think it was working as some poo has been normal but its back to runnyand bloody this morning. The vet has given him hills prescription diet for gastrointestinal health.I did steam some white fish for him to try yesterday but he wasn't interested so i gave it to my Rotti Leyla, she loved it but she ate it so fast she was sick. I am under pressure from my family to continue with the tinned food because they think" the vet knows best" I am of a different opinion.I have two tins left so on Sunday I shall give him fish and i think someone said green beans i will leave out the potato to begin with in case he is allergic to carbs. I do intend to buy a book on barf feeding it seems to make sense to feed your dog as it would feed itself. I don't mind the commitment this will take i have had two beautiful rescue Grehounds before who i had to cook for every day. I am so gratefull i stumbled upon this web site and to all of you who have posted a reply I cannot thank you enough.I shall continue to update louis progress it may be of use to someone else. Thank you all again for the time and trouble you have taken to respond . It has been a comfort to know he is not the only dog in the world this is happening to and I have feeding options im sure it will be trial and error but at least I feel as if I am finally on the right track.
abc123
New Member!
Female 

16-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Sorry forgot to ask does anyone know of an antinflamatory treatment I can buy for Louis. Cheers .
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
Sorry forgot to ask does anyone know of an antinflamatory treatment I can buy for Louis. Cheers .
Try adding slippery elm bark powder to meals. This may help ease digestion and improve stool quality.
abc123
New Member!
Female 

16-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Doberman have you used this product yourself ? If so where can I get it please. Thank you Julie.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Louis has just had his last dose of granofen wormer. I did think it was working as some poo has been normal but its back to runnyand bloody this morning. The vet has given him hills prescription diet for gastrointestinal health.I did steam some white fish for him to try yesterday but he wasn't interested so i gave it to my Rotti Leyla, she loved it but she ate it so fast she was sick. I am under pressure from my family to continue with the tinned food because they think" the vet knows best" I am of a different opinion.I have two tins left so on Sunday I shall give him fish and i think someone said green beans i will leave out the potato to begin with in case he is allergic to carbs. I do intend to buy a book on barf feeding it seems to make sense to feed your dog as it would feed itself. I don't mind the commitment this will take i have had two beautiful rescue Grehounds before who i had to cook for every day. I am so gratefull i stumbled upon this web site and to all of you who have posted a reply I cannot thank you enough.I shall continue to update louis progress it may be of use to someone else. Thank you all again for the time and trouble you have taken to respond . It has been a comfort to know he is not the only dog in the world this is happening to and I have feeding options im sure it will be trial and error but at least I feel as if I am finally on the right track.
Good for you!!
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Doberman have you used this product yourself ? If so where can I get it please. Thank you Julie.
I bought the capsules from Holland & Barrett and just empty the powder (out of capsule) over his food, mix and serve. He seems to like it too!

Certainly helped my boy
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Some probiotics wouldn't go a miss either! Good luck with him. Ask your vet what he thinks about EPI (sorry, don't know what breed he is but it's pretty much breed specific to gsd's and collies??) Just worth a mention to your vet next time you're in there.

When you say there was some solid in there, has he had all meals of the same food? Anything inbetween? You might find he's allergic to something you could have fed inbetween the meals, or if you added something to one of them and not the other? Go back about 12 hours.

Your vet really does think this is parasite based doesn't he, so with all that Granofen, he should really be fine now.All the best with him. That Hill's prescription is a very bland mix of chicken and rice, so again, that rice could be a problem still? Hill's also do a venison based, but the vets use that when they try out an elimination diet, but again, ask your vet about it, coz it once stopped my dog's diarrhea in it's tracks even though I'd also been taking the Granofen route and Metronidazole.

He could well be fine on the raw diet, it's worth giving it a whirl, wish I could do it, but too many obstacles for my dog.

If you get to your wit's end, go and buy a tin of original Chappie and see if that sorts him out, it really has worked wonders for my two, I'm getting perfect poops twice a day from the pair of them, and I'm actually loathe to put them back on their normal food yet! All the best, keep us informed as to how he's doing, and I do hope you don't have to go back to the vets in a hurry.
susie fischer
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2011, 03:48 PM
I had a german shepherd bitch who has similar symptoms and she was diagnosed first with colitis. Expensive meds, no real improvement, Then EPI (she was underweight and always hungry) again expensive meds and only a slight improvement. She was a stray so no history. I read somewhere that yoghurt was good for stomachy ailments and so put her on a small tub of natural pro-biotic yoghurt which she had every morning. I felt that even if it didn't do her any good it wouldn't do her any harm. Within 6 weeks she has normal pooh, was starting to put weight on and was much happier in herself. She lived another 10 years without any further treatment from the vet. I now give all my dogs a dessert spoonful of yoghurt every morning and they all have cast iron stomachs!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2011, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by susie fischer View Post
I had a german shepherd bitch who has similar symptoms and she was diagnosed first with colitis. Expensive meds, no real improvement, Then EPI (she was underweight and always hungry) again expensive meds and only a slight improvement. She was a stray so no history. I read somewhere that yoghurt was good for stomachy ailments and so put her on a small tub of natural pro-biotic yoghurt which she had every morning. I felt that even if it didn't do her any good it wouldn't do her any harm. Within 6 weeks she has normal pooh, was starting to put weight on and was much happier in herself. She lived another 10 years without any further treatment from the vet. I now give all my dogs a dessert spoonful of yoghurt every morning and they all have cast iron stomachs!!
So do I! It's a great lining for the stomach before my morning walk, and before their breakfast on our return, I swear by it now.
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >