View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kimw30
New Member!
Female 

08-12-2012, 01:06 AM

Dog barking at big dogs, doesnt like me to leave her, and scared of alot of things

I have a rat terrier who is 4 years old and her name is Prissy and she has a problem about barking and growling at big dogs and shaking, she will bark and growl and shake so much when she sees them that she will make herself sick. I am taking her to dog obedience classes and behavior classes but it isnt helping because she will either bark at the big dogs and then hide up under the chair and she shakes and pants the whole time we there. And she doesnt want the trainer to pick her up, if he tries to pick her up she will pull back trying to get away from him. she also doesnt like me to leave her she will cry if I leave her and she will watch me leave like she is saying come back and get me, she wants to be with me all the time, and also she is scared of so much things, she is scared of rain and any kind of loud noisy and even a camera. Any suggestions on what I can do for her.
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-12-2012, 10:09 AM
I suggest that if the trainer at the club you go to hasn't been able to help your dog, try another club.

What happens if you take your dog over to the big dogs he is barking at?

It sounds like he is a highly sensitive little chap so I would let any formal training take second place to desensitising him. I'm not experienced in that area so will leave it to others to advice.

Just a few things though, Terriers are well known for shaking/trembling when excited or stressed, seems to be genetic.
And,
Don't allow your dogs stress to pass to you, remain totally calm and happy and try to enjoy helping him. If you also get stressed your body language will change and it will be backing him up in feeling stressed.

Good Luck
kimw30
New Member!
Female 

08-12-2012, 03:44 PM
If the big dogs get near her or if I take her near them she shakes and barks and growls and tries to get away from them.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-12-2012, 04:00 PM
I second what Shane said - I know a lot of terriers bark at Riley (who is a medium sized dog) wouldn't say this was a good thing though.

I'm not sure why your trainer was trying to pick up your dog? Our trainer has little to no interaction with Riley, she is training me to train my dog.

Maybe a new trainer is on the cards?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Hello Kim your poor little dog sounds very fearful and I think the classes may be making her worse because she is being asked to face things for which she is not prepared

The last thing a fearful little dog needs is someone strange trying to pick her up.

I would want to introduce her to things and situations that make her fearful at her own pace with rewards and without forcing the issue.

Here is an article written by one of our members which may be of help to you, also a recent thread on a similar topic with some suggestions

Desensitizing shy or nervous dogs

Rescue Dog .is this agresssion..
ThatSmallGirl
New Member!
Female 

09-12-2012, 12:59 PM
im not so sure about the barking at bigger dogs, but heres a possible solution to being left alone?

my staffy was a nightmare when left alone (i once came home to the whole door frame being chewed off) but now i give both my dogs a kong. not sure if you've heard of them but they are these solid rubber toys that you stuff with treats (or peanut butter i use) and they spend agessss just getting it out. works a treat keeping my dogs occupied. and they know they only get these kongs when i go to work, and when they see them, they run onto their beds and sit and wait for them. worth a try?