Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2008, 09:35 PM

Home cooked organic food!

Today I went to Wickham Manor Farm ...owned by NT and locally managed as an organic livestock business (doing big sales to London farmers' mkts etc). It is in a fabulous setting on edge of Weald, rolling fields behind and overlooking Pett levels to the sea.

I collected 20 kg of freshly killed (today) organic sheep and beef liver, heart, lites and some venison. I was hoping to freeze and feed raw but girlies are not playing ball so I'm cooking it up (with garlic and parsley....)

It is now 10pm and its only half done. All the windows and doors are open...the smell is horribly evocative of my childhood....we fed this to our family dogs when I was small.

However, they adore it and have wolfed down some of the first batch already, and are sitting by the oven waiting for more. 20kg of quality organic feed (very few lites) which they minced for me and packed into vac-packs cost me £5!!! I think its worth it (if the smell goes soon ).

Mary
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 09:45 PM
I can smell it from here Mary
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
I can smell it from here Mary
Wind ESE so its possible!!!!
Mary
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Sounds good and very nutritious ..
If you are going to do this regularly Mary might be worth investing in a pressure cooker to cook it all very quickly
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Sounds good and very nutritious ..
If you are going to do this regularly Mary might be worth investing in a pressure cooker to cook it all very quickly
Good idea, but can see me cooking it only in summer when I get to ditch the smell towards my neighbours (eh Trixybird?)

Mary
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2008, 10:33 AM
I'm soooooo jealous - all of that for a fiver!

I wouldn't be cooking it though - can't stand the smell. Bryan would eat it frozen