View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2004, 06:04 AM

Finicky Eater, Help I've created a monster ;)

When I brought Savannah home she wasn't eating enough kibble, so I started cooking her food, and mixing it in. Dinner is not a problem, but breakfast and lunch are starting to be. I'll usually cook her eggs, pancakes, oatmeal or leftover dinner, and mix it in. Lately, she will turn her nose up at it. So I'll add cheese and she'll either eat it, or turn her nose up again. So then I'll add sausage, then she'll eat it or turn her nose up. The problem is, she'll eat, but after I've added 4 or 5 different things on some days. Other days she'll eat the first thing I put out. I've tried mixing small amounts of all 5 things at once for the finicky days, but she won't go for that. She has to see me add each thing separately it seems, lol. She's like the Queen. What do I do? Does anyone have any creative dishes they feed in addition to kibble? I'm afraid to let her turn her nose up and not eat because I don't want her to lose any weight, and her growth is important now. Sorry this is so long. Any suggestions?
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-08-2004, 07:14 AM
Hi Barbara, You know what I'm going to say, and you know it will work . Stop pandering to her. Put down a good quality dog food at each meal. Leave it down for 20 minutes, no longer, then remove it if she doesn't eat it. Give her NOTHING else. Put the meal down again at the next feeding time and repeat if neccessary. She will not starve herself, but she will make you feel very guilty, so be prepared, for a horrible few days it might take quite a while. She will catch on though.

Good Luck.
Dozeydanes
Dogsey Senior

04-08-2004, 09:44 AM
I have had this problem with Treacle ever since I've had her, she started wanting to eat after her spay but is now back to not eating. I offer the food and if it is not eaten by the time Oliver has finished I take it up.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-08-2004, 09:56 AM
She certainly has you well trained Barbara

Follow Nursey's advise.
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2004, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the advice. I was hoping someone had something delicious to add to the food I don't know if I could do that. You know what I've noticed though, my dogs seem to like the cheaper dog food better than the quality stuff. I have tried just about everything, and the higher quality seems to have a worse taste. That's why I add real food to it... Maybe I'll try the tough love approach, I don't know I don't want to switch to cheap kibble either, even if they like it better because I'm afraid the cheaper stuff causes cancer.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2004, 09:07 PM
I believe that dog food is for dogs and human food for humans ..... mine have the odd bit but not much ............ I know a dog Cross breed who is 19 and fed on chappie and mixer all it's life and is still in great condition .....it depends if your happy to cook for your dog than thats for you ......... I agree with Nursery ( sorry)
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2004, 05:27 AM
If I was a dog, I would want someone to cook for me too instead of just dog food Taste it and tell me what you think
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-08-2004, 07:53 AM
Barbara, do you have any other pets? Would you cook for a bird or a rabbit.? Bet those eat bird and rabbit food. Take control girl.
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-08-2004, 09:32 AM
Barbara, you are making a rod for your own back. Decide what it is that you want her to eat and offer that and that only. If she will not eat it give her absolutlely nothing else between meals and add no extras or tempting tidbits to the dog food that you have chosen. Put her meals down at set times & remove them after set times if she has not eaten them. A healthy dog will not starve itself. If you do not wish to be a slave to your dog's appetite you will follow Nursey's excellent advise.
liberty
Dogsey Senior

05-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Try something like Chappie....it stinks and dogs love it, or nature Diet which in't smelly, but fussy dogs love it too!!

libs
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >