Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2006, 02:22 PM

Running dogs / sore pads.

Hey

The dogs come out running in the forest with us, we take our bikes and they run with us.

Keena runs fast, really fast but it seems to the detriment of her back pads...I didn't notice last night but this morning she is limping and it is because she has literally wore two big fairly thick chunks off both of the middle pads on her hind paws.

(Her paws might get wore out, but she doesn't!)

I plan on getting her some running 'boots' as I hope that will help in the future.

Does anyone else who runs thier dogs (maybe some of the Sibe / Mal people) have any experiance with 'sore pads' what boots if any would you recomend etc.

In the meantime is there anything I can do to help heal her pads quicker and make them less sore...I'm not taking her for walks till they are more healed over, today she is staying off her paws of her own accord and is walking on her tip toes when she does walk around.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Friends of mine take their dogs out like this and have had one of them get sore paws like your dogs. They got boots which has sorted it, I cant remember what type boots but I will try to remember to ask them. I dont think they are particularly fancy or expensive ones though, but they do the job nicely.

In the meantime, I would suggest using New Skin to help heal the pads as it gives a protective layer - it might sting when applied but literally only for a second, if that, then its very soothing. Alternativey perhaps a spray on type which has pretty much the same effect. Once healed, and while waiting to get boots, paw wax helps a great deal but I would suggest the tinned type rather than the spray as you can put much thicker coverage on so your dog will have good grip as well as protection.

HTH
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2006, 02:38 PM
We put Vaseline on Roxys pads, dont know If this will help them heal a bit faster?
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Hi there
Sorry to hear you poor Keena has ripped her pads apart.

I had an insane weimaraner that chased a ball literally until he ripped all his main pads off ( front and back) He showed no pain at all and it wasnt until he was back on the lead and I noticed blood that I saw what he'd done. He had trouble walking once he realised he was in pain and had real trouble balancing and stooping for a poo for days.

I bandaged Josh's paws with melolin over the wound and cohesive bandages over the top. I am a vet nurse so it was easy for me but if you're not experienced at it I would advise that you take him to the vets to get him bandaged properly as its easy to cut off the circulation or give them claw sores.

I cant help you with the boots tho, I never bought Josh any. Good luck with her I hope she heals quickly!!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2006, 03:04 PM
Hi...

Phil at Culpeppers will sort you out for boots...

I can give you the link not sure if I am allowed though

http://www.culpeppers.co.uk/catalogu...lU&cat=booties

Ot there is this one..

http://www.snowpawstore.co.uk/store/...?idCategory=54
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-08-2006, 05:31 PM
If you want exceptionally well made and very hard wearing doggie boots Myschevious-try these...
http://www.canine-spirit.com/shop/de...15&prodsecid=3

They may sound expensive,but i tried several different types with Abe and these were the only ones which stayed on him.They are fastened by velcro straps which you have to do up really tight,but you cant harm their leg cause they flex.
Sizing is crucial so follow the instructions on their site carefully if you do buy them.
huskadie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-08-2006, 06:24 PM
SUDOCREM works miracles,but might make a mess of your floor??!!
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2006, 06:26 PM
I would have liked to have seen them I went onto the site but for some reason no pictures came up? must be something to do with my computer or something?

Mo
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by mo
I would have liked to have seen them I went onto the site but for some reason no pictures came up? must be something to do with my computer or something?

Mo
When you click the link-you will see a small blue bit with 'gallery' written on the web page-click on that.
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2006, 08:36 PM
OK will try that

mo

OK did that a box came up with a 1 & 2 box at the bottom of it tried both ...nothing and I am set up to allow pop ups so dont know why?

Mo
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >