Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2011, 09:02 PM

Weeing and crate problems

Is it normal for a puppy to wee about a hundred times a day??I take her out after she's had a drink, eaten, played, slept-sometimes she'll go (and I praise her profusely) other times she just whinges to be back in. I just have to turn my back for a second and she wees. It's really getting me down.
The second thing is the crate. My husband works away (so I'm coping with the devil puppy on my own!) and I have to go out tomorrow night. Part of me can't wait, just for a couple of hours peace, but the thing is she goes absolutely crazy in her crate. She has wee'd and poo'd in it even though I've tried to make it nice for her, fed her treats in it and tonight even gave her her tea in it. While I was eating I said in a really upbeat way, that I was putting her in her bed. Well-as usual she went nuts, and after about five minutes I could tell she'd poo'd. It wasn't five minutes since she'd been out!! Can someone PLEASE tell me what I'm doing wrong??
I never thought a little scrap of fur weighing less than a pound could reduce me to tears but she has. And there was me thinking having a puppy was supposed to be fun
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Hi there, sorry to hear you are having problems with your pup. I've been there too (along with alot of others on here) & yep it can be very frustrating!

How old is she? Do you do any clicker training with her?
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2011, 09:28 PM
She's only 8 weeks old, so I know she's just a baby but it's got my nerves jangling. I feel like I'm on red alert 24/7.
No, I haven't done any clicker training. I'm not sure I have got the patience at the moment! I must get the weeing and pooing sorted before I do anything like that I think.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by poppysma View Post
She's only 8 weeks old, so I know she's just a baby but it's got my nerves jangling. I feel like I'm on red alert 24/7.
No, I haven't done any clicker training. I'm not sure I have got the patience at the moment! I must get the weeing and pooing sorted before I do anything like that I think.
Ahhh but that IS the KEY to training your dog to pee/poo outdoors. You would be totally amazed at what you can train your dog to do using a clicker.http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=11324

I have a 6mth old NI, & she was nicknames 'devildog' after about 3 weeks of owning her (I got her at 8 weeks) she would poo & pee everywhere, she would chew everything, she would scream the house down everytime I left her.

I was at my wits end, until clicker training started, then she became a totally different dog that KNEW her boundaries.

Start off with basics, say her name, if she comes to you, click & treat. Slowly build it up...then take it outside, if she pees/poos outside, click & treat. If she does it indoors, ignore it, clean it up & move on. She will sharp realise that pee/poo outside gets rewards...BUT the key is also consistancy, go out with her at every opportunity, even through the night.She is only young so ideally you should be letting her out every 2-3 hours through out the night as pups rarely hold their pee through the night until around 6-7months.
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Guess where I'm going in the morning!!

Will I need a book or is there enough info on the net? I'm desperate enough to try anything!
Just wondering though-how will the clicker stop her screaming when I leave?

I see you're a Gateshead girl? I'm not too far away
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 09:59 PM
Originally Posted by poppysma View Post
Guess where I'm going in the morning!!

Will I need a book or is there enough info on the net? I'm desperate enough to try anything!
Just wondering though-how will the clicker stop her screaming when I leave?

I see you're a Gateshead girl? I'm not too far away
There is alot of info on Dogsey re clicker training & also on youtube, some of the videos are brilliant. Have a read of my thread & take alook at the little video I did of me trying to train sasi down...I was clicking too close to her face, but it does take a while to get treats & clicker in hands without getting muddled up http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=150812

I am a Gateshead girl born & bred...until 2 years ago when I moved down south
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-09-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
http://www.clickertraining.com/housetraining
Ah ha!! I knew some-one that didnt waffle like me would be along soon x
poppysma
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-09-2011, 10:56 PM
Rubster & Smokeybear-I've been reading all the stuff you've posted and it all sounds hunky dory and sensible...but it doesn't seem to work with her! I've read loads on the net and had books from the library but she seems to be a complete one-off. I've just been outside with her for ages, treats at the ready, and nowt!! Now I'm like a cat on hot bricks just waiting for her to wee in here. I feel like I never take my eyes off her and she still manages to do it indoors.
The other thing is, I've just read that puppies have no control over their bladders...but she can go for hours when we go to bed, yet other times she can't seem to last a minute. I'm really sorry for moaning on but honest my nerves are shredded!
Smokeybear-re the link you sent about crate training...again she doesn't fit the mould. She hates the crate! I would dearly love to do as the writer said and crate her every time I want to do something but a)she goes crackers and b)she either wees or poos in it. Help!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >