Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-10-2008, 09:09 AM

Dog's tails

How do they wag ?

I was watching Fingal earlier today. He was just stood outside in the garden and his tail was wagging as it always does.

It got me wondering - (this what Paternty leave does to you) - do tails just wag away on their own or does a dog have to wag it consciously ?
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 09:18 AM
I think dogs wag consciously...... - there is a study somewhere -I will look and see if I can find it...but.....

Becasue dogs communicate in a big way via scent, different tail wags produce different scent patterns...therefore giving off another indication towards other creatures what thier intentions (mood if you like) is.

I find it quite interesting to observe the differnt tail wags mine have....wether its the low nervous one, or the high 'I'm in charge' one, or the circular greeting 'but I'm a bit nrevous' or the whole body way the 'SO happy to see you' one.

(Just my take on a couple of my dogs wags!)

*mutters very quietly*
Its also why I have a problem with docked tails.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 09:20 AM
It's weird, isn't it!

Max and Murphy's tails seem to have 2 modes...

1. We know what we're doing whilst we're wagging - this seems a very concious wag, e.g. when you say hello to them
2. Is this even attached to me wagging - seems a subconcious thing, as if the tail has a mind of it's own. Often wags when nothing is happening.

I wondered if they can make their tail wag, but also (maybe) electrical/nerve impulses make it wag for them too...
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 09:22 AM
I think it's like smiling - you can do it consciously or sometimes you just find yourself smiling....?
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I think it's like smiling - you can do it consciously or sometimes you just find yourself smiling....?
I think so as well. Just like we use expression on our faces, dogs use various wags of their tails to communicate. It can be intentional or just natural. They have various wags depending on various moods. And just like some people are naturally more smiley than others, some dogs have more waggy tails.

Here, Archie's never stops a quivering and Willow on wags hers when she's really impressed.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 10:28 AM
*mutters very quietly*
Its also why I have a problem with docked tails.
lol... no tails in this house.. but there will be with the next litter....

I had a very intresting conversation with Hali on the forum when we met up for a walk one day... her collie stumpy has no tail... she asked.. did I find my dogs had problems turning in water...? I had to admit.. when they first started swimming... they did look like drowning bears.. and they turn like a submarine.. she had noticed stumpy had problems compared to hoki.. in the water..

that said I have seen many a spaniel in the water go like a fish...??

I have to say.. the more swimming a docked dog does the better it seems to get...

Does anyone else notice a diff between a docked dog and an un docked one in the water??/
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
lol... no tails in this house.. but there will be with the next litter....

I had a very intresting conversation with Hali on the forum when we met up for a walk one day... her collie stumpy has no tail... she asked.. did I find my dogs had problems turning in water...? I had to admit.. when they first started swimming... they did look like drowning bears.. and they turn like a submarine.. she had noticed stumpy had problems compared to hoki.. in the water..

that said I have seen many a spaniel in the water go like a fish...??

I have to say.. the more swimming a docked dog does the better it seems to get...

Does anyone else notice a diff between a docked dog and an un docked one in the water??/
I've no idea; but it will be interesting to see how your next litter get on in the water compared to their stumpy relatives.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 10:39 AM
I think its something they have control off - more noticeable when they can't wag - Max had cold tail recently and hardly wagged at all bless him.

I agree its like smiling really.

I have heard a lot of people say how much more balanced there new pups are compared to prev. docked dogs. That's not even bring water into it
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Yes I agree with random it seems to be something that they can do on purpose and other times they don't seem to know they're doing it, but, like Rachel says - when they have cold tail, they hold it really, really still. When Takara had it, even when she was really excited it didn't move at all and it's when she's really excited and her whole body waggles that I would say she seems to have less control of it...

How very strange...

The conclusion... Phil needs to go back to work
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2008, 11:21 AM
I have noticed with Finn that when he is thinking deeply his tail stops wagging
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >