Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
marley1
New Member!
Female 

11-11-2008, 11:27 AM

Stray Dog - Diet?

Hi, there. My family and I took in a stray dog a fortnight ago. We have had him at the vet for his shots and a good cleaning etc. The vet said he is a corgi cross approx 4 years old in very good condition, was well looked after. He's a lovely fella, really good with the kids and was obviously a house dog as he loves to be around us and cuddles up on the couch.
He's a very poor or fussy eater though and I could do with some advice. We have tried him on 3 different types of dry nuts and he won't eat them. He loves tinned food, - but I have been told by the vet that this is a no no. He also loves Frolicks Complete, but again it's not meant to be the best for him. I am trying the tactic of leaving down his bowl with the nuts in it for 20 mins or so and then taking it away if he hasn't eaten. I feel so sorry for him though that I am tempted to give him our leftovers as he also loves meat but is not so keen on any other scraps. Should I continue with the nuts or should I try another brand ? I keep thinking that he was used to his owner and a certain type of food and now here I am giving him something he thinks it yuck! Will he get used to his new food? Thanks Guys.
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Firstly Welcome to Dogsey and bless you for taking him in, pics please
What dry food have you tried?
I think you are doing the right thing by not leaving food out for him, makes for a fussy eater that
Keep trying, me thinks that if he gets hungry enough he will eat it eventually.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Until he gets used to the dry food you could soak it a bit or add something tasty ?
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-11-2008, 12:02 PM
good for you for taking him in, what are nuts though ? obviously I know what nuts are but not for dogs ! We feed ours a mixture of raw food like mince, breast of lamb, turkey, chicken and also Arden grange biscuits, and Harringtons, and they are doing well ,we don't like tinned dog food either.
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Not all "tinned" food is bad....
I would avoid pedigree but Nature diet is great if a little expensive Chappie is good too - most vets vecommend it too.

The only problem with wet food is keeping their teeth healthy...but there are other ways to do that too.

Well done for taking him on - would love to see some pics!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 12:09 PM
If tinned food is not suitable, how about Nature Diet? This is a high quality wet food which may suit the dog better.

Bless you for taking him in x
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 12:32 PM
If he loves tinned food, why not try 1/2 natures diet or similar (I think butcher's is decent too as it has no fillers, preservatives etc) and half dry dog biscuits.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Well done for taking him in...have you tried chappie, stinks but usually the dogs love it x
marley1
New Member!
Female 

11-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all your replies. I feel I need to let you dog lovers know that I have tried very hard to locate the owner of this pet but no luck. A neighbour of mine thinks she saw a dog similar to Marley being left behind deliberately in the park next to my house. The vet reckons with the recession we are having that many people cannot afford their pets anymore. Maybe thats the case, and the owner knew that someone in the park would look after the dog.
Anyhow, the nuts I refered to are Irish brands so u may not have heard of them - Madra complete dry food (chick & beef) and Red mills complete etc. I am gonna see if I can get this Natures Diet one for him. Will let ye know how I get on. I will have lots more questions over the coming weeks I am sure !!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2008, 03:04 PM
It's true that Butchers tinned is pretty good too. When I couldn't get Nature Diet, I would have Butchers instead - it's really a good quality wet food.

Good luck with your dog. Would love to see some photos when you get the chance x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >