Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 01:50 PM

Losing weight and coat - advice please!

Daisy was spayed 5 weeks ago - no problems. However she has got really thin and is moulting for England. Even her guard hairs are coming out in handfuls. She has always had times when she lost condition due I believe to hormonal changes. Is that what`s happening now?
She has been treated with Stronghold recently (does worms as well) and is fed 2 or 3 chicken wings (as many as she`ll eat) in the morning and as much Arden Grange premium plus Butchers Tripe mix to tempt her a bit more in the evening - again, as much as she`ll eat. She is eating enough I`m sure - any ideas on getting her back into condition? Apart from this she seems fine.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 03:58 PM
would a change in food for a while help hun to get her weight back just a thoought as my last bitch went like this when she was spayed and like you i gave what ever she could eat. In the end i tried a diffrent food and it worked she was on it for a 4mths and then graduly change back over and she has been fine since. really hope you get it sorted hun now how upsetting it is when they lose weight and you cant get it sorted. fingers crossed for you hun. xxx
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 04:38 PM
I could try a different food but I changed to Arden grange from Burns as she was losing weight and it seems one of the few she likes. Any suggestions?
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Change the chicken wings for another meat form, and make sure the Arden Grange is the lamb version not chicken.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 05:00 PM
Sorry hon, nothing to suggest. Hope you get it sorted x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
Change the chicken wings for another meat form, and make sure the Arden Grange is the lamb version not chicken.
Do you think she`s developed an intolerance to chicken? She`s not itchy and her motions are fine.
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 05:18 PM
It is a strong possibility Chicken is the worst meat protein source for allergies and intollerence.
Pam
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 05:27 PM
Sorry I should have gone into more detail;
Quite often when a dog starts to develop reactions to a protein source you will see weight loss despite the amount eaten, fur loss, sometimes the skin in the groin area will take on a dark purple colour, you will get moist skin and then bacterial infections before any itching occurs. The longer the dog is fed a protein source that it is developing a reaction to the more severe the reaction will be, untill it will literaly start tearing its fur out after eating. In extreme cases it will go into shock, a dog can be fed something for a long time before developing any reaction to it, the min will be a few weeks some foods 12wks+ anything upto a year.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Thankyou. I`ll try cutting out chicken and see if she improves.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Have ordered lamb & rice arden grange. What can I give in place of chicken wings? I do like her to have some raw chewy food to keep her teeth clean.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >