Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 11:25 AM

Lump on side of face

my border collie ice has a lump on the side of her face a little way down from eye area , sort of just above muzzle area is on bone area , came up this am i think . Dosen't seem to hurt her , do you think i should ask vets oppinion or watch how it goes , not sure if kavik maybe knocked her or not . I noticed it about 9 am , its still ther now 11 .25.
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2007, 01:05 PM
If it was my dog I think I would nip her to the vets to be on the safe side, you can never be too careful with lumps.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 01:28 PM
I'd get it checked out if I were you. Is it like a pea??? I only ask coz that's what Cassie's was like to start off with, but within 3 weeks had grown to the size of two golf balls, on her shoulder though. Don't leave it, get it checked, I would. Good luck, they'll know straight away! Mind you having said that, they told me they were 99% sure my Cassie's wsn't anything nasty, but I knew it was.
eloquence
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Hiya,

My Irish setter Jazzie had one of these a while back. It was an abcess which the vet lanced and after all the nasty stuff had come out she was ok again and we've had no further problems.

I would get the vet to check it out.
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanx for the replies , vets said to keep an eye on it for now , but i asked for an appointment for tomorrow incase its still there , eating okm , lump not soft , hard , they did mention a possible abcess , if it does get any bigger today then i will get her to vets tonight.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by rosegallagher View Post
my border collie ice has a lump on the side of her face a little way down from eye area , sort of just above muzzle area is on bone area , came up this am i think . Dosen't seem to hurt her , do you think i should ask vets oppinion or watch how it goes , not sure if kavik maybe knocked her or not . I noticed it about 9 am , its still ther now 11 .25.
Hi Rose how big is the lump? Is it a smallish spot, is so it could be an infected bite, or is it elongated/about an inch or more and between the eye and the mouth on the side of the jaw, if the latter it could be a blocked saliva gland (dogs have a number of these both above and below the jaw).

How are her teeth? Are any broken or decayed, if so it could be an infected tooth.
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Rose how big is the lump? Is it a smallish spot, is so it could be an infected bite, or is it elongated/about an inch or more and between the eye and the mouth on the side of the jaw, if the latter it could be a blocked saliva gland (dogs have a number of these both above and below the jaw).

How are her teeth? Are any broken or decayed, if so it could be an infected tooth.

yes she has some broken fang teeth , tops missing but this is more or less where you mentionedat side of jaw , lump isnt small , about an inch as you say .
rose
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-11-2007, 03:02 PM
...There are a number of names for the condition affecting saliva glands depending on which gland is affected, salivary mucocele / sialocele, cervical sialocele, cervical mucocele, ranula, zygomatic ucocele and salivary cyst.
It would seem the glands below the jaw are the most commonly affected.

Amy had a lump on the side of her face below the eye which turned out to be a blocked saliva gland a Zygomatic Mucocele , the vet failed to diagnose it and gave her antibiotics. I gave her a good examination myself and spotted a tiny hole inside her mouth on the inside of her cheek just above the back teeth. It contained a whitish yellow substance which was not infected (I had it checked later) . When I expressed the substance the lump went down but filled up again later.
I returned to the vet who confirmed my findings, he said there was an operation they could do but it was tricky and as Amy was an old dog with a bad heart he didn't advise the operation.

I continued to treat the lump myself by expressing the content when it became full which was every few days. It didn't seem to bother Amy too much to begin with but I think it became tender after a while.

If the teeth are broken it could be an infected tooth, a trip to the vet is your best option

NBsorry I tried to post a link to an article but it wasn't acceptable and I don't want to quote the article without the link.
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 06:36 PM
just to let you know ices lump seems to of gone now , i think kavik may of knocked her with his tooth possibly as he opens his mouth on her muzzle playing
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Ohhh glad to hear this - glad it wasn't anything to worry over.

Lumps can be worrying when they appear
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »