Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 04:19 PM

Harness for Razzle?

I`ve started walking Raz up the street once a day to get him used to going on a lead. The trouble is that he`s putting on weight and is a big boy - so I`m having to use all my strength when he has a bit of a panic.
Is there a harness which will help? Or do I need to take up weight training?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 04:26 PM
It depends on whether he panics forwards or backwards - if he tries to back away, a harness (or head collar for that matter) aren't great).

I did use one for Stumpy for awhile (until she backed out of it completely!) - not sure whether it helped her or not. In the end I used it with a training lead (double ended) so that I had her lead clipped to both her collar and the harness.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 04:29 PM
That sounds like a plan. Thanks. Are there any harnesses that you`d recommend? (He wouldn`t tolerate a head collar yet)
Fluffypup
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
I've recently bought the Dogmatic for my boy as if we're out pavement walking and he sees a cat or a dog with attitude, he can lunge at them and he's extremely strong. He's accepted it very quickly and I have to say it's marvellous and I can now control him with just one hand. It also means I can relax and leave the lead looser which seems to relax him too.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
That sounds like a plan. Thanks. Are there any harnesses that you`d recommend? (He wouldn`t tolerate a head collar yet)
The one we have was an Ancol (I think). Webbed with extra padding at pressure points. Having said that, it is a right faff to get on - the dog has to step into it and I can never remember which way round it goes, so was forever having to start again!

I remember asking on here about ones that the dog didn't have to step into, which would evidently be much better for Raz as it would mean less man handling. I'll try and find the thread with people's recommendations and send you a link to it.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 04:45 PM
Here you go - lots of useful recommendations for easy harnesses to put on/take off....

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php...hlight=harness
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 05:23 PM
I use these fleece harnesses:

http://www.snugglepets.co.uk/index.p...ex&cPath=19_20

You don't have to lift the legs (it just goes over the head and then clips at the sides). It also has a clip on the front for extra control. They are very comfy for them to wear.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2010, 05:37 PM
How about a Mekuti harness? It will spread the weight better and stop him surging.

They do an over body one so it doesn't have to go over his head and are incredibly light and comfy for them.