Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sarah0126
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2012, 10:38 AM

Rescue advice needed

Hi all,

After loosing my yellow lab Rolo in Jan I have decided that later on this year peraps October time i would like to rescue a dog. I just have to say I can't put into words how grateful I am to all those on dogsey that helped me through the loss of Rolo with very kind heart warming words, not a day goes by where I don't cry and miss her I just hope it will get easier soon.

I have decided to start looking into giving a dog a new home later on in the year, I have no idea about rescue and rehoming but I want the opportunity to give a dog a better life, I don't want to get a puppy again I feel I just got so so attached to my lab as she was a baby I will be looking for a dog that is maybe aged 2 upwards.

Me and my partner are very dedicated dog lovers and know that often rescue dogs can be troubled but we are more than prepared to put the time into giving a dog the time and love they need.

We would be looking for a small/medium sized dog, my friend has recently rescued a cockerpoo and a sprocker who are just the most gorgeous pair ever. So I think something spaniel sized woul be ideal.

Can anyone reccomend somewhere for me to start?

Advice required!

Thanks

Sarah
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-07-2012, 10:47 AM
check out all the rescues in your area and contact them.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Yes I would read a lot first.

Some things I can recommend are:

http://www.cleverdogcompany.com/tl_f...tre%20copy.pdf
http://www.apdt.co.uk/documents/Rehoming_000.pdf
http://www.deesdogs.com/documents/newdognewhome.pdf

Successful dog Adoption by Sue Sternberg

Then look here:

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/429
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-07-2012, 10:53 AM
East Midlands Dog Rescue
Pingle Farm, Seine Lane, Enderby, Leicestershire, LE19 4PD
Tel: 0116 286 4266 or 01455 845701
Email: garry.copeland@ntlworld.com
Opening Times: 9am - 12noon Sundays, all other times by appointment
www.eastmidlandsdogrescue.org

Leicester Animal Aid Association
The Huncote Pet Rescue Centre, Elmwood Farm, Forest Road, Huncote, Leicester, LE9 6LE
Tel: 01455 888257
Opening Hours 10.00am - 2.30pm Daily
www.leicesteranimalaid.org.uk

Leicester Animal Rescue
Fairwinds, Tilton Road, Billesdon, LE7 9FF
Tel: 0116 259 9399
www.leicesteranimalrescue.co.uk

Leicestershire and Rutland Stray Dogs Sanctuary
Leicester Road, Frisby-on-the-Wreake, Melton Mowbray, Leics.
Tel: 01664 434202

RSPCA Leicestershire Branch
Woodside Animal Centre, 190 Scudamore Road, Leicester LE3 1UQ
Tel: 0116 233 6677
Opening Times: 11.00am - 3.00pm Weekends, 11.00am - 4.00pm Weekdays except Tuesday when closed
www.rspcaleicester.org.uk
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Have a look, browse local rescues to what kind of breed you are most suited to. Maybe foster to adopt? You could also volunteer as a dog walker and come across your perfect match almost by accident!

I know from experience a lot of spaniel/spaniel x s are given up because previous owners have not exercised the dogs enough, or put effort into training. Don't let this put you off! I find that spaniels are VERY rewarding and quick to learn as long as your rules are firm
sarah0126
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys will look into it xxx
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 11:55 AM
The one bit of advice I'd give about getting a rescue, is to try not to get frustrated/upset by the rescue's policies and procedures.

Most rescues are under-resourced and rely heavily on volunteers. There can be days when they don't return your calls and/or may appear less than friendly on the phone. If this should happen, please don't take it personally - these people are under huge amounts of pressure. Phone calls may not be replied to if they don't have time - i.e. they are seeing to the dogs first and bad days are frequent, so they aren't always in the happiest state of mind.

Of course its not always like that, but I've known a few people to be put off from not having this understanding at the start.

Also, different rescues have different policies. Some are not willing to bend any rules for individual cases no matter how sensible it might seem to do so, but others (usually the smaller ones) are prepared to consider each case on its merit. So, if you should get knocked back by a resuce because you haven't met their requirements, please don't give up - there will be the right rescue with the right dog out there.

But its all worth the effort as rescuing is so very rewarding .
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 12:53 PM
So sorry for your loss.
Great advice already given on here.

I would add two things. First; become a known at your local rescue, often the dogs that are rehomed the fastest are the ones you have described so best to get yourself and your needs known.
Second; don't rule out older dogs or rescues that are internet based and national. I am proud to foster for Oldies Club. We take dogs from age 7 up. Some have issues, some don't, depends upon circumstance. The dogs we have fostered have slotted in easily. Oldies are thorough and make
Any decisions about a dog based on that dog, so no real blanket policies. We rehome throughout the country- one if my fosters went a 5 hr drive away ( he was fab in the car so that was fine). He has a fantastic life. You just need to be willing to travel to meet the dog. There are other internet based rescues around but I can only absolutely vouch for Oldies Club. The care given to the dogs is second to none. 7 is no real age either.... I would also recommend black retriever x another internet based rescue taking dogs
In need largely from Ireland but from
here too. They often have spaniel x's etc. fab rescue.
Good luck. How exciting!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 03:54 PM
My Lab was a rescue and I'm so glad that we found each other.

My one bit of advice would be:

Make sure you get to walk any dog that you are considering adopting. And I mean a decent length walk in an area where there are other dogs, children, cars, bikes, cats, etc.

Of course allow for the fact that dogs in kennels can be frustrated and anxious and more excitable than they would normally be. Other dogs may be depressed and thus more subdued than normal.

Once you have allowed for this, you want to look at how the dog reacts to things, etc, and ensure that the dog is one you can cope with regard to walking.

Best of luck, do let us know how you get on
corey101
New Member!
Female 

09-07-2012, 04:41 PM
I think that a rescue dog is a great idea! I would definitely do some homework and get involved with your local shelters and rescue groups.
Getting to know what is out there to adopt and going to meet them and spend time with them and find out anything you can about them. Any background info about your new prospect will be great. The more information you know about behavior, training or lack of, and little quirks the better.
I hope that whatever dog you finally decide on, I hope they work out for you.