Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2013, 05:46 PM

Sickness and lethargic

Hi!

I have a 6 year old Cairn who last night kept being sick. It seemed to be every hour and it first was a bit of brown sick then turned to bile. Today he wouldn't eat his breakfast or drink (he is extremely food motivated so that is more of a concern to me) and he is just lying in his bed. He's just eaten a bit of chicken and rice but not much. Is this something that will go in a few days, or is this a sign of something worse? He is usually very happy and friendly but he's just not interested in anything (even our puppy that keeps trying to play with him).

Thanks in advance, Lizzie
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-01-2013, 09:15 PM
Hi Lizzie , if your dog is no better in the morning I would take him to the vet. I wouldn't leave him any longer.
Is he pooing ok?
kimmie91
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2013, 12:27 AM
Please take your dog to the vet as this is exactly what happened this friday night/saturday day time with my dog.
We had sickness throughout friday night and more during saturday. Not wanting to eat or drink and very lethergic etc etc.

I rang my vet around 2.30pm saturday telling them what had been happening and had to go see them asap.

I was told she was borderline being put on a drip. But lucky we were sent home with Anti-sickness and anti-biotics. On the condition she was not sick and was drinking.

I syringed her water through the rest of the day (was sick once) As she wouldnt take water.

I phoned the vets today giving them an update and because she had managed a little vet food herself she was fine to wait until tomorrow morning to be seen.

But this happened over about 12 hours and she went down hill very quickly. If your dog is doing the same and it seems it is please ring the vets first thing as being dehydrated from constant sickness can make your dog very unwell.

Hope all goes okay and please update us x
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2013, 02:27 AM
Agree with above if no better in the morning, contact your vet
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2013, 01:14 PM
Hi thanks for the advice, today he seems better in himself but he had terrible dirreha last night and this morning he had it too. We aren't feeding him today and he is drinking so I'm feeling a bit better. We have a vet appointment this evening as our puppy needs a vaccination booked so we will check him out too.

He has stopped being sick now though.

Do you think he still needs to go to the vet if he's not being sick and he is not ill in himself, but is dealing with dirreha?
kimmie91
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2013, 02:01 PM
Good news he has stopped being sick but with diarreha it would still concern me about the amount of fluids being lost. Is he perky and acting his normal self?

If your going to the vets anyways theres no harm taking him along, if you use the same appointment slot they may not charge as your already booked in?
Lizzie-301
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Yeah he is back to his usual self but I think you're right in taking him still as he's not eaten anything he shouldn't so it is strange how he got ill.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-01-2013, 05:11 PM
There is some sort of virus thing going round, all mine have been down with it bar one, have had one puppy in the vet on IV for 4 days, a very poorly little girl.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2013, 05:16 PM
I wonder if there is a virus doing the rounds? As my dogs have had upset tums and minimal sickness and there seems to be quite a few people posting about these type of symptoms.

I hope you get on at the vet and your dog is over the worse. Do let us know.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-01-2013, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't wish this last week (and the vets bill) on anybody, no idea what it is, but it could be a killer I reckon on an elderly or very young dog, my little girl is lucky to be here.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >