View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bon
Almost a Veteran

29-06-2004, 12:24 AM

Puppy love in Japan...by the hour

TOKYO - The Beatles sang Money Can't Buy Me Love, but people are flocking to the Puppy The World rental pet shop at Tokyo's Odaiba waterfront park to rent just that by the hour.

On a recent Sunday, dozens of lonely hearts gazed at photos of adorable doggies and then shelled out 1,575 yen (S$25) to take the chihuahua, toy poodle or miniature dachshund of their choice for an hour's walk.

Upon their return, many give their short-term companions a quick hug and a wave in a misty-eyed farewell.

For Japanese with a fondness for animals but who are unable to raise pets because of their cramped homes or strict apartment rules, shops like these are a godsend.

'Three of us in our family love dogs, but my grandfather hates them,' said a 12-year-old girl who lives with her parents and grandparents in a Tokyo condominium, and who rents a dog every week.

Each person who rents a dog by the hour is given a leash, some tissues and a plastic bag - in case the pooch has to answer the call of nature. They also get strict instructions not to let the dogs run free, to keep them in the shade on hot summer days and refrain from giving them snacks.

For the steeper price of 10,500 yen, renters can take their chosen dog home for an overnight stay and are provided with a day's pet food, a water dish and a cage for the animals to sleep in.

The rental business is no oddity in dog-crazy Japan, a country with 11.1 million pet dogs and where doggie hot springs and pet aromatherapy abound alongside products like canine perfume and miniature sofas for pets.

In Tokyo alone, the number of shops registered to rent out pets grew to 115 as of March, up from 17 just three years earlier.

While the boom in puppy love is raising awareness about animal welfare, concerned veterinarians say the animals up for rent live difficult lives.

'For shy animals, getting taken on walks by people they are not familiar with is a major source of anxiety,' said Ms Chizuko Yamaguchi of the Japan Animal Welfare Society. -- AFP

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/asi...img][/img]
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-06-2004, 05:22 AM
Wow, that's unbelievable. Cool I guess, but how do the dogs feel being shifted around like that? My husband's aunt is a busy career woman with kids, and she doesn't want the responsibility of owning a dog, so they take a guide dog in every weekend, just for the weekend. Free, lol. Interesting story Bon!
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2004, 11:01 AM
just read this story
how weird!!
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2004, 02:50 AM
How fantastically bizzarre. I always thought that a dog was considered a delicacy to the Japanese. How wrong I am!!!!
I may approach our foreign students for fundraising after reading that.
Nice one Don
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2004, 05:20 AM
I think it's the chinese. Dog and cats are delicacy's. I heard on the news that they thought SARS was started from eating those cervic cats...
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by Barbara
I think it's the chinese. Dog and cats are delicacy's....
Ah, I knew one country ate dogs and cats. (Geography and Culture weren't my strongest subjects) Best that I don't approach our foreign students since the majority of them are chinese.
Cheers Barb
I heard on the news that they thought SARS was started from eating those cervic cats
Oh those poor cats and all those people who died. We had a student who lost 3 members of his family through that illness as he lived in the village where it originated. Glad that it's all gone now. Maybe now, they won't eat cats?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2004, 08:16 AM
We can only hope

I couldn't imagine eating my Luna or Oliver
Bon
Almost a Veteran

07-07-2004, 10:37 AM
In Korea piles of cats are placed in big sacks and then slamed over and over again until the cats are just a pile of mush and then this is made into a drink. Saw some pics of it and it is terrible.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2004, 06:34 PM
OMG poor things!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-07-2004, 06:47 PM
That is horrible