View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Sounds exactly like the pain I had with sciatica!! You have my deepest sympathy I've never felt pain like it!! Maybe see a chiropractor? I still get it sometimes but not nearly as bad
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

24-10-2009, 08:37 PM
Mum gets this and we were told a few years back to drink tonic water it has quinine in it and is supposed to be good for cramp. Couldn't tell you if it worked because Mum is very bad at doing as she is advised or told. The sister at the Hospital who told us about this her husband suffered with bad cramp and she made him drink a glass a day and it worked for him she said.
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2009, 09:45 PM
this sounds so much like what i get i often wake up in the night in absolute agony with cramp in my calves, i went to the docs had blood test, the doc advise too cut down on salt in my diet drink tonic water as it has quinene in it and also i have been prescribed quinene tablets to take as i if get it i suffer for a few days and the tablets help to prevent it
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2009, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by loufoxyloxy View Post
this sounds so much like what i get i often wake up in the night in absolute agony with cramp in my calves, i went to the docs had blood test, the doc advise too cut down on salt in my diet drink tonic water as it has quinene in it and also i have been prescribed quinene tablets to take as i if get it i suffer for a few days and the tablets help to prevent it
ohh interesting,ive been getting this recently,my calf hurts the next day too
mind u i dont even have any salt in the house
thanks...tonic water here i come,how much should u drink?
settagirl....i hope you get it sorted soon,time to worry about yourself instead of the fur-babes for a change
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
ohh interesting,ive been getting this recently,my calf hurts the next day too
mind u i dont even have any salt in the house
thanks...tonic water here i come,how much should u drink?
settagirl....i hope you get it sorted soon,time to worry about yourself instead of the fur-babes for a change
i dont really use salt anymore now but i still occasionally get cramp, but having the seen the ads for hidden salt in food i think that might have something to do with it
not sure how much to drink as im a bad patient and dont drink tonic water as i cant stand the taste so i take the tablets
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Ooh night cramps, hurt like hell don't they!

I'm lucky as I don't tend to get them anymore, but interestingly I don't put salt on my food anymore either!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 12:50 AM
I agree with what the others have said about, salt, tonic water, quinine, just wanted to add that it could be a magnesium deficiency or vitamin B also, as that can give you leg cramping and also stress can trigger it also
Hope you can clear it up as there is nothing worse than been woken up from a nice sleep with leg cramps.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 08:27 AM
And just in case you don't know, certain medications can do this as a side effect! Check the inset leaflets if you're on any meds.
Now here's something was told to me - and I pooh poohed it until I had a night cramp once - press a wetted bar of soap into the leg muscle which is cramping - and the cramp goes. And by golly - it does!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Hi Claire if it is cramp to help relieve the spasms gently stretch the leg muscles, to do this :
..stand a little distance from a wall with your feet slightly apart,
..place your hands palms flat on the wall,
..now bend your arms until your chest touches the wall keeping your feet flat on the floor.
..repeat a few times and you should get some relief

I would mention it to your doctor when next you visit.Some medical conditions can cause cramp...
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
This sounds similar, though not identical with what my OH has - the doctor called it restless leg syndrome. definitely the pain when you are in bed and then during the day -but with him, usually when he was moving it was ok, its when he is still for awhile that the pain comes on.

Restless leg syndrome is apparently when for some reason your brain keeps sending signals to your nerve endings so that they spasm/hurt.

OH has medication from the doctors - apparently it is predominatly for epiletic suffers, but it has down the trick for him.

It sounds like you are in a lot of pain/discomfort and i think you should go to the doctors. Fingers crossed they can work out what it is and that it is easy to sort out.
I have restless leg syndrome and have had it for donkey's years, I would describe it as, not so much a pain, but a horrible creepy feeling in the legs, and sometimes in my arms, I have to keep moving them, Yes it is fine when I am walking or standing, but it comes on when I relax. Awful, just awful...I have tried quinine but it didn't work for this.

x
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2