View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-02-2011, 05:15 PM
horse meat has the most protien in any meat...to much of that is not good either...balance is key.....protien
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 05:16 PM
I feed a combo of Burns dry food and fresh mince. The meat is from Landywoods and is about 40plb and the dry food would cost about £40 for 15kg (but i pay trade price), but of course there are cheaper brands such as Harringtons. I also get scapsones from the butchers as well as buying whole ox hearts and chopping them into meals. For my three dogs which weigh 45kg, 30kg and 5kg i reckon I spend about £30-£35 per month on food. If I was to feed Bakers or some other popular brand it would probably cost double. One of my customers has seven dogs and now saves £80 per month since switching from Bakers and RC obesity diet to Luaths and his dogs have all lost weight and their coats and skin are better too.

As for your family member feeding leftovers, I don't see anything wrong with that so long as they are getting a good variety.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 06:25 PM
Indeed, given a choice between Bakers and leftovers, I too would choose leftovers!

I guess it depends on what kind of leftovers they are...How processed are they, how much salt is there etc.

I think many years ago when dogs were fed scraps from the table, there was no such thing as processed food and everything was cooked from scratch so it was more or less healthy for the dogs. IMO, nowadays it isnt such a wise thing unless you still adhere to those values.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 08:04 PM
My Grandparents dogs(many moons ago) were fed mainly on left overs, but those did not have all the additives and processed foods many have today, salt, sugar, e numbers etc. Have always been of thought(n no offense) that you shouldn't feed your dog anything that you wouldn't be willing to eat yourself(even though they have different tastes). What works n is good for some might not be so for others. Wishing you all well
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2011, 11:11 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
My Grandparents dogs(many moons ago) were fed mainly on left overs, but those did not have all the additives and processed foods many have today, salt, sugar, e numbers etc. Have always been of thought(n no offense) that you shouldn't feed your dog anything that you wouldn't be willing to eat yourself(even though they have different tastes). What works n is good for some might not be so for others. Wishing you all well
Dogs aren't fussy because they have less taste buds than ourselves - I do believe. Hence why they can rummage through trash and live off the streets - albeit not healthy but they still survive to an extent.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Dogs aren't fussy because they have less taste buds than ourselves - I do believe. Hence why they can rummage through trash and live off the streets - albeit not healthy but they still survive to an extent.
Tell that to mine! They certainly have definite likes and dislikes. Dan will only eat meat, he won't touch veg or pasta etc. Rogue will eat anything but fish and Rio has been so difficult to feed it's untrue! If she could live off liver and blue cheese life would be much easier
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 08:05 AM
dont worry about weaning him off, its a really awful food, through it in the bin& get him something better. (wagg isnt much better)

Table scraps is alot better than bakers in the short term.

I feed CSJ & a small amount tinned meat (rocco )

look at burns, csj, arden grange, royal canin etc
gemma1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-02-2011, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
When I was growing up in the sixties, our family beagle was fed on horse meat! My mum used to boil it up until, one day, she went out and left it on the cooker! She came home to a kitchen covered in grease and full of smoke and a poor coughing beagle! He had a very dry, scurfy coat anyway as a result of his diet and my parents were advised to feed him tinned food which was a great relief all round!
Ha Ha! great story.
It doesn't seem as frowned upon as I thought to feed your dog what you're eating. I suppose it depends on the breed, but I might give it a go when my dogs a bit older.
Has to be better for him than meat out of a tin!
Might encourage us to ditch the kebabs as well lol
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Tell that to mine! They certainly have definite likes and dislikes. Dan will only eat meat, he won't touch veg or pasta etc. Rogue will eat anything but fish and Rio has been so difficult to feed it's untrue! If she could live off liver and blue cheese life would be much easier
Yeaah I thought that too, lol. Sadie will only eat biscuits at mine, she has to have meat at her house, Benjie, up until recently where I have took the meat out, ate around the biscuits - leaving biscuits all over the kitchen floor and Louie - well he's a dustbin for food. Although Sadie and Louie wouldn't eat the raw kidney I tried to give them...
gemma1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-02-2011, 09:57 AM
Ok so I'm not gonna replace the Bakers when it's all gone!
I've been giving Milo tiny bits of cocktail sausages for treats when we're training, so he probably has 2 a day, they don't upset his tummy or anything but is there anything else that's safe to give to give a puppy that he'll really go for?
He does love cheese but I don't know if it's ok to give it to him at his age.
I tried cooked chicken but I think he lost interest because it didn't smell very strong, hard to keep his attention sometimes!
We're gonna be working on recall at the weekend, first time off the lead in the big wide world! so I wanna take something that he'll come back to me for.
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >