Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2011, 10:49 PM

Yearly Injecions???

Hi my Chi is around 6 weeks overdue for his yearly injections, he hates the vet like most dogs and it's been put off as we have been away I didn't want to come home and take him straight to the vet, how long would be advisable to leave him without him been in danger of catching anything? He's 2 1/2 at the moment, any tips here would be great.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 08:51 AM
If he goes more than three months overdue, he will have to start again with the vaccination programme. I tend to take mine a few weeks after the due date anyway.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2011, 09:00 AM
As said, there's a bit of leeway on it, it doesn't have to be exactly 12 months but if you leave it too long then he will have to start over again. I would speak to your vet on their booster methods - some of the vaccinations are believed to be effective for up to 3 years so some vets will only do some of the boosters, e.g. the one for leptospirosis, I think it is, yearly and do the rest every 2-3 years.

One thing that may be worthwhile before next year's booster is to desensitize your doggy to the vets. My vets are happy for me to pop in and use an empty consultancy room to weigh mine (Casper was on a diet recently!), and they do free checkups for their flea/wormer prescriptions every three months so it's good practice of going to the vets with either nothing happening at all (other than sitting on the scales) or just minimal handling for the basic health check (tummy checked, heart and lungs listened to, quick glance at the teeth and perhaps their temperature taken). So when it comes to going to the vet for slightly more invasive things, they're used to going and aren't too bothered. Mine certainly make themselves at home sprawling out in the waiting room so I don't think they dislike the vets. I would see if your vet minds you popping up - just popping in the door and maybe asking the receptionist to give the dog some treats at first, then see if you can progress to an empty consultancy room, etc. so actual vet visits aren't a stressful thing.