Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 08:14 AM

Kongs!! How do yours do it?

Following on from a kong filling thread. I thought I'd ask how your dogs get the filling out ?

I usually freeze mine but not always.
Jadie just persistently licks hers. She gets her tongue in and just goes on at it. If I ram a dental bone or whatever in she chews like mad but wont put any effort into extracting the last bit.

Jack however has a full repertoire of tricks. He starts by chewing/licking the open end, getting his canines through the hole. Then he'll chew the small end to get the plug out.Then he'll chuck it about to bounce any bits loose ( he lost one behind the arm chair yesterday he'd thrown it that high!!) This is risky tho cos if it lands near Jadie he's lost it! Then he'll repeat the whole process. I have caught him standing on the top of my garden ( very steep slope) and chucking it down the hill. When it bounces across the patio a few bits fall out so he has to race it down the hill to get there before Jadie does!!!

I know Kongs are meant to entertain our dogs but watching my 2 play with them entertains me as much!!
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 09:05 AM
Mine chuck the things about! Only when sure everything has been safely removed and eaten will they bother to sit and lick!

Usually one chucks the others wait to see what and where it comes out - case of who gets there first

I agree very entertaining watching them!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Do you all clean them out before you refill them. Im a novice as you can tell.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Do you all clean them out before you refill them. Im a novice as you can tell.
I put them in the dishwasher - once all contents are definitely removed!!! If they haven't emptied them I use a spoon/knife to make sure all out then in the dishwasher! But I must admit don't put too many really messy things in!
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
I put them in the dishwasher - once all contents are definitely removed!!! If they haven't emptied them I use a spoon/knife to make sure all out then in the dishwasher! But I must admit don't put too many really messy things in!
Yep me too top shelf they come out all clean. Hot soapy water and a soaking will do tho.
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Jaz is absolutely rubbish at it. She licks and gets the first few bits out but then that leaves the rest of it stuck to the sides and she can't get anymore out!

We used to have a Golden who would lay on her back and hold the kong up in the air with her paws and just let gravity do the rest!
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by Gina&Jaz View Post

We used to have a Golden who would lay on her back and hold the kong up in the air with her paws and just let gravity do the rest!
Clever doggie
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:24 AM
i was just thinking about this, this morning as i was stuffing my 9 kongs!!!
My lot are all lickers although Digg will throw his if a piece of frankferter is jammed at the base

as for cleaning i don't have a dishwasher anymore (kitchen too small) so i soak them in hot (very hot) soapy water for about 15 minutes, then give them all a good scrub and then a soak in Milton for a few minutes. i do this maybe twice a week depends how well licked they get
jackpat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by CockerMum View Post
i soak them in hot (very hot) soapy water for about 15 minutes, then give them all a good scrub and then a soak in Milton for a few minutes. i do this maybe twice a week depends how well licked they get
Flippin heck. They'd be cleaner than the plates we eat off!!!
I coming to live with you.
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2007, 12:19 PM
Max starts off holding it between his paws and licks the contents. Then he starts to get annoyed with it when he can't get any more out he starts growling at it, yapping and chucks it around the room. Then when he's worn out he just pushes it around with his nose.

Keeps me amused for hours
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >