Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 10:31 AM

KONGS - which one

I have a Lhasa Apso that is very good at destroying all his toys. I know Kongs keep coming up on this forum but I haven't yet seen an answer to what I need to know.

I have had the blue and white puppy kong - he chewed the end knob off that within mins, (thought kongs were supposed to be indestructable - obviously not). Last week I got him the red medium kong (which he loves) I filled it with goodies and he had a great time with it. But now within 3 days he has chewed the opening end so the food is just there for him to eat.

I was looking on ebay today and I noticed that there were different colour kongs - does this make a difference to the strength of the Kong or not, probably a stupid question, but I have no idea I want to get him another but I would like it to last more than 3 days!
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Am very interested in this thread and await replies too, I am no help at all as my 10 month old pups just the same as yours, they can destroy everything thats is said to be virtually indestructible, cost me a lot of money trying to find toys they cant destroy!!! Same with me too all the knogs they can destroy, had a good red one which was not fully destroyed but OH playing too well and thre it over neighbours garden, nice neighbour!!!! not returned it!! Dont mind too much as see he has got himself a dog so maybe his dog can enjoy it. Anyway look forward to hearing replies as I too would like toys my dogs cant destroy. x
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2006, 10:36 AM
The black ones are suppose to be really tough. I think people with staffies and breeds similar by those ones. I have the red ones like you and so far they are still intact.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 11:18 AM
If your dog's destroying them that quick you ought to consider changing the colour and the size. The black ones are made of especially tough rubber, and the bigger they are, the more difficult to wreck.

The puppy ones are really very soft, and only meant for baby-pups so they don't shatter their brittle puppy teeth on them.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 11:23 AM
I have always thought that the black ones were stronger also so I will have to agree with duboing
shaza
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by duboing
If your dog's destroying them that quick you ought to consider changing the colour and the size. The black ones are made of especially tough rubber, and the bigger they are, the more difficult to wreck.

The puppy ones are really very soft, and only meant for baby-pups so they don't shatter their brittle puppy teeth on them.
Ozzie is now 1 year and six months, I bought the puppy kong when he was 7 months, the red medium sized one I bought recently. I have looked all over for the black medium but can't seem to find them anywhere. I assume the large will be too big for him - although I'm sure he would love it as he would be able to get more food in it Is there such a thing as a black medium kong?
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Like you say I have only seen the black kongs in large, which would be too big I would think.
Willow
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-08-2006, 12:53 PM
My local Pets@Home has the black ones, along with the dental ones and all the other ones you can get.

Have you tried them ?

Good luck getting a kong to suit your little chewer !!
minter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-08-2006, 03:50 PM
I agree with the others. The black ones are better. I have a few staffies and I could feed a small country on the amount I`ve spent on toys.
The only toy that I have ever had that has really lasted is a Boomer ball. You can get these from places like Pets at home for around £5-£8. But you can probably order them on the internet.
They are hard plastic balls which are a bit smaller then a football. The dogs play with them by pushing it around, kicking and digging at it. Mine love them and will regularly go at it for ages.
Other home made toys like bike tyres are good but make sure you cut the metal rim out of the tyre first. Old t-shirts or socks with knots tied in them also seem to make lasting tug toys as well.
If you let your dog chew wooden toys, then the blocks that you find seperating industrial pallets are another good option. Just make sure they are clean and free of nails etc.
I also use a flirt pole to play with my dogs, this is simply a long bamboo type of pole with a bit of cloth on the end which my dogs run after and as the poles long I can lift it out of their way or drag it around for them. This game is a great way to exercise your dog.
If your dog likes tug of war type of games then consider making it a small spring pole. This is another simple way to entertain them. Attach a rope or similar to a spring and hang it from something. Make sure your dog can reach the rope with at least its back feet on the floor and there is nothing that it can bump into as it tugs and turns.
I have also built a small A frame like the ones used in agility and my dogs chase each other over, around and under it. These are also really easy to make and can be any size and made to fold away.
Good luck, at least its the toys that are getting chewed and not your furniture.
murphydog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2006, 09:47 PM
hi yes puppy kongs are only made for soft puppy mouths,red kongs are good for dogs that are not hardened chewers reguardless of breed ,black ones are the best, i think they only make them in large and king kong size, i would say a large is a good size for a small dog that chews!! my friend has a jrt who has a large black one he has no problems carrying or playing with it
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >