Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2005, 08:35 AM

Teething - a few questions

ok,

Takara has started teething bless her. She's not just chewing furniture but she's biting us a lot more than usual as well. I'm not getting too fed up about it because I'm sure it's because her teeth hurt and she won't do it as much once she's stopped.

The problem is, I have nothing of much value to her to give her when she's biting me or a chair etc.

I want a teething stick for her, preferably that you can freeze to soothe her gums - any recommendations from you guys would be much appreciated. I want to get a recommended one.
She has a kong jump n jack that she likes but she can't hold onto it and if I do she gets confused between the kong and my fingers because it's so small so she needs a longer stick that she can hold onto - I think that's why she likes the chairs because they don't move when she chews them.

Also, how long does teething generally last, just so that I can have an idea...

Thanks very much
Lottie x
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2005, 08:54 AM
Give her an old leather belt!........ take the buckle of first....... the thicker the belt the better.........they will chew on it for hrs.........you can also pop it in the freezer..........
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Hi Lottie Nylabone make puppy teething keys which are really good, Archie loves his and it's harder nylon so it's probably better for them to chew.

Also, does Takara have a ragger? (rope thingy) soak it in water (or beef stock or apple juice ) and freeze it, she will like that

Frozen carrots are also good, Archie was mad about frozen peas also when he was teething
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2005, 09:09 AM
As Tuti says frozen carrots are good a large on preferred ..and a pair of old cotton socks knotted, moistened and frozen are good to play with too.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2005, 09:15 AM
Look Lottie the teething keys are in this photo

Archie still has his and they're almost intact!

Ask maplecottage about them, Fern loves his too
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2005, 04:47 PM
wow fab stuff

I was going to get some keys but wasn't sure whether they were any good - now I know

She's got a leather belt but didn't know you could put it in the freezer and she adores carrots so will try that too.

Tuti - yes she does have a ragger and I didn't think about that but will give it a go although she won't play with that on her own - she always hits you round the back of the legs with it if you refuse to play but may try it thanks

Thanks very much for all the advice
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2005, 04:56 PM
You could also incorporate food into it.I have fed frozen pigs trotters when teething and also frozen marrow bones for recreational chewing.
jo p
New Member!
Female 

29-10-2005, 10:55 PM
Nelson is also teething at the moment and i chopped the legs off a pair of OH's jeans!! I tied a knot in each leg - soaked them in water and then froze them. Now he has one on the go and one in the freezer - they seem to be helping a bit but he's still chewing other things(including us!) sometimes
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2005, 11:16 PM
Some excellent suggestions there, thanks for that will have to remember them!
tjhoe68
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2005, 11:36 PM
I gave Barney ice cubes and they seemed to help him a lot. He still loves them now

Can't remember how long Barney was teething for, I think he stopped chewing us around 6 mths but I could be wrong, got a terrible memory. Sorry hun, not much help am I!