Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 11:47 AM

When is playing rough too rough?

Bryan and Z play wuite roughly when we're out and about. They chase each other and nip each other. This morning they were doing t and my friend said 'What do you do with them when you go out?'

I said I leave them together, they don't carry on like that in the house. She said she'd be frightened to leave them alone because they were being 'nasty' to each other.

IMO they were playing, yes they were showing their teeth and growling but they weren't fighting. They've had a couple of spats but haven't actually bitten each other.

So I guess what I'm asking is, should I be stepping in and stopping them and at what point should I do this?

I have stopped them when it's obvious to me that they are actually fighting and they stop straightaway. We've only had Z a couple of weeks so I think they're still getting used to each other.
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 11:58 AM
I let my two get on with it.. when we are out and about in the fields. I only intervene.. if they go ott with squabbling in the house... when the handbags at dawn stuff turns into.. a prolonged bout of noise and teeth. I separate them by shouting or grabbing one by their tail and pulling them backwards. It`s enough to break contact.. they then go on with their own thing. 99% of the time the squabble starts over one being a little over zealous in their play and one hurts the other... Just like human siblings.

This is the usual from my two when they play fight..

Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-03-2009, 12:15 PM
I'd say too rough is whatever you decide, for me if there is no malice or bullying intended they can get on with it until it gets on my nerves. If bullying or malice is intended I step in immediately. Out and about I interrupt when the path narrows or when other people and dogs are close by. As long as they stop when told I don't see a problem.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 12:18 PM
I agree, when out and about Pharaoh and Kismet run and fight and really sound terrible, but in the house it all tones down to 'mouthy mouthy' and occasional spats and sillys...

Kismet has really attacked both Selkie and Pharaoh before when she gets over excited and there is food about, but the is a noticeable difference. There is no doubt that this is not play and someone's going to get hurt. Her eyes change and she gets a 'stillness' that cannot be mistaken for anything else. I can usually read the signs and snap her out of it before she launches, but occasionally, my back is turned, or it was my OH or mum in the room neither of whom seem to be able to read her signs. Then the dogs are stopped, put into down and no-one can get up till everyone's eyes are back to normal...

I don't separate them, or put them into different rooms after a fight. When I did this the first time I had a hell of a job bringing them back together again, Pharaoh and Selkie wouldn't Kismet back in the room and ganged up on her... But if I keep them all in the room until the moment passes.... All is fine and they'll be back to their usual selves in a couple of hours! I don't separate them in the day and I don't worry, she'll do this when I'm not there. She has her triggers and if everyone can get out of each others way all is fine. It's when they are brought together by treats or dinner time that trouble can kick off.

Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 12:19 PM
i know friendly can look nasty
the way i judge it is if you separate them if they are grinning and both pulling to play some more

also play fighting has times out where the dogsbare happy enough with each other to play and pull apart

ben and mia both look nast when playing but the grins, tail position and body laungage say play

fighting either both dogs are totaly in each others faces
bodies and tails more rigid

or one dog trying to get away

i found when mia and ben didnt trust each other enough a stray nip could cause playing to be fighting - which needed me to separate as mia does not stop when her blood is up
i kept them seperate at all times i couldnt supervize

now they trust each other and - touch wood - things dont turn into fights
i still crate mia when i am out cos i dont totaly trust them yet. also she is a chewer and i want to teach her life is dull when i am not there,ndont want them jumping all over the house
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 12:23 PM
rotties are vocal, my lot sound like hell on earth in the house.

My next door neighbour took ages to get used to whats "normal" for them, she would always be shouting are they ok shona over the fence when they were out in the garden playing
Now shes used to whats normal for them,

I guess its down to what you feel is right,
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
rotties are vocal, my lot sound like hell on earth in the house.

My next door neighbour took ages to get used to whats "normal" for them, she would always be shouting are they ok shona over the fence when they were out in the garden playing
Now shes used to whats normal for them,

I guess its down to what you feel is right,
He he he, that reminded me of my neighbours the day after we brought Kismet home, they asked if we had a baby in the house! ... Mind you if you had heard her!
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 12:51 PM
My lot have a right old bundle sometimes but I can just tell when its play and when it is niggly. They just sound/look different. If things look like there is a possibility of it turning ugly, I just shout "oi" and that's it, end of. They've never hurt each. When I go out, I leave them all together in the playpen. Only just today started leaving the two pups in too. Have to say though, I'm very lucky with my lot. 6 bitches and 2 dogs in one house and no personality clashes, I do consider quite fortunate! Mind you, when Frankie matures, I'll have two intact males and I believe that can cause friction, from what I've heard

Sounds to me like your two are behaving perfectly normally. It's just the way dogs play, isn't it. Very vocal indeed! Glad I don't have neighbours as such (not close by anyway) Sounds like murder being committed at times, when they are (in reality) all chasing a toy or ball
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 01:31 PM
My 3 boys are aged between 11 months and 30 months and are all very boisterous. They often chase each other nipping each others backs and then wrestle with the most awful snarling and growling. I rarely intervene if it's 1 to 1 but if 2 are ganging up on the other dog I will call them all back to me.

It has gone too far twice when Ollie (11 month old GSP) who considers himself top dog, pinned one of the other 2. He released them immediately he was told to and there has been no trouble since. I suspect the others may have nipped him a bit too hard on each occasion. I don't worry about leaving them alone together because they know the rules and put them into practise on a daily basis, whether I'm present or not. We are often woken up in the morning to the familiar clunking and banging of dog wrestling in the kitchen. The kitchen stuff is quite mild compared to how they are when we are all out together. I should also add we now have a "collars off" rule in the house since Ollie got his lower jaw caught mid-wrestle

ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2009, 03:13 PM

this is playing!

if it gets too rough and one dog hurts the other they leap up and seek vengeance with much yowling and gnashing. There`s never any injuries and if it`s too loud I turn the TV up or bellow OUT!
If one of the dogs is looking distressed I`d stop it. Or if they`re in danger of knocking small children over. Apart from that, let them have a nice romp.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >