Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
I was thinking you should have put her in the pedigree class actually. I mean, she looks like she could be a Standard Poodle. Or type. Maybe...
Well she's have better luck than she did in the terrier classes!
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Personally I think she look's perfect the way she is.. and if she was to drop 3/4's of a stone she'd look like a cruelty case!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
Personally I think she look's perfect the way she is.. and if she was to drop 3/4's of a stone she'd look like a cruelty case!
Thank you. I agree. Rspca poster!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Tilly's "tuck up" doesn't really show in the picture, but that could be the picture. I think she is absolutely beautiful, but maybe could shed a just couple of pounds. I like my boys to be on the slim side of "medium", but that's just my opinion. Three quarters of a stone is ridiculous and would leave Tilly looking emaciated. She certainly isn't fat.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
Tilly's "tuck up" doesn't really show in the picture, but that could be the picture. I think she is absolutely beautiful, but maybe could shed a just couple of pounds. I like my boys to be on the slim side of "medium", but that's just my opinion. Three quarters of a stone is ridiculous and would leave Tilly looking emaciated. She certainly isn't fat.
Thank you. I can see that maybe she carries a pound or two extra but like you say. 3/4 of a stone would be a massive amount for her!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Well she's have better luck than she did in the terrier classes!
Don't worry-they only seem to recognise purebred JTR/Border/Patterdale terriers at terrier shows. Most of the time the judge hasn't a clue what Parker is and once I was told he should be in the Family dog ring next door and not the terrier ring! I dodn't like to ask them what breed they thought he was ! (Poodle?)
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-08-2010, 04:35 AM
From that picture I would say she looks fine, maybe a pound or two over her ideal weight but nothing drastic.

It may be worth, if it's bugging you, either popping her in to the vets and weighing her or seeing if they have free nurse weight clinics as a lot of vets do and they will tell you if she is at all overweight.

The thing is, you think she is a border x parson but if you are not 100% sure there is nothing else in there it can be hard to tell what weight she should be from what the breed norms are.

I have a parson x border (ok, she's only just over 15 weeks at the moment, but still) and at her last weigh in was just over 3kg (that was around 3 weeks ago now). I've been away for 12 days (enjoying the luxury of the local nhs) and she's shot up 2 inches at the shoulder and is already at 11 inches tall. I'm sure when she is adult height/weight she'll push the boundaries for either a parson or a border. However, I know she is just those two as I've known her breeder for years and I know her parents are both dogs they keep so it doesn't necessarily mean that a cross of the two will stay true to breed norms for either/both parents.

If it were me I'd be guided on how I feel my dog is and how my vet views him/her. We struggled with Oscar for a long time to get him to hold weight - he was a yo-yo dieter for sure (I even had one woman, who owned a barrel of a labrador that must have been a good 7-8kgs overweight threaten to report me to the SSPCA as he was so underweight and I obviously wasn't feeding him enough!).

You know Tilly best, and your vet or vet nurse will give you an honest opinion (I would hope). If you are happy she is ok and they are then she is ok.

Don't stress over what one man, who by the sounds of it doesn't really know what he's talking about, upset you!

Ali xx
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Don't worry-they only seem to recognise purebred JTR/Border/Patterdale terriers at terrier shows. Most of the time the judge hasn't a clue what Parker is and once I was told he should be in the Family dog ring next door and not the terrier ring! I dodn't like to ask them what breed they thought he was ! (Poodle?)
Poor Parker, I hope he told them all he's a terrier through and through!

Originally Posted by Aligord View Post
From that picture I would say she looks fine, maybe a pound or two over her ideal weight but nothing drastic.

It may be worth, if it's bugging you, either popping her in to the vets and weighing her or seeing if they have free nurse weight clinics as a lot of vets do and they will tell you if she is at all overweight.

The thing is, you think she is a border x parson but if you are not 100% sure there is nothing else in there it can be hard to tell what weight she should be from what the breed norms are.

I have a parson x border (ok, she's only just over 15 weeks at the moment, but still) and at her last weigh in was just over 3kg (that was around 3 weeks ago now). I've been away for 12 days (enjoying the luxury of the local nhs) and she's shot up 2 inches at the shoulder and is already at 11 inches tall. I'm sure when she is adult height/weight she'll push the boundaries for either a parson or a border. However, I know she is just those two as I've known her breeder for years and I know her parents are both dogs they keep so it doesn't necessarily mean that a cross of the two will stay true to breed norms for either/both parents.

If it were me I'd be guided on how I feel my dog is and how my vet views him/her. We struggled with Oscar for a long time to get him to hold weight - he was a yo-yo dieter for sure (I even had one woman, who owned a barrel of a labrador that must have been a good 7-8kgs overweight threaten to report me to the SSPCA as he was so underweight and I obviously wasn't feeding him enough!).

You know Tilly best, and your vet or vet nurse will give you an honest opinion (I would hope). If you are happy she is ok and they are then she is ok.

Don't stress over what one man, who by the sounds of it doesn't really know what he's talking about, upset you!

Ali xx
Thanks for a great reply. Sounds like your little pup is going to be a tall one too. I am going to get her weighed at the vets just to see what they say. I can cope with the fact that she may carry a couple of pounds over, we can do something about that. But it was the fact he said 3/4 of a stone. Seemed a massive amount for a terrier to lose. She really would look far to skinny. Im not getting to stressed over it, was interested in others opinion though. Seems like he may have been talking rubbish so I'll take my chubby little terrier and avoid his classes in any future shows! Thanks for the advice.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
I was thinking you should have put her in the pedigree class actually. I mean, she looks like she could be a Standard Poodle. Or type. Maybe...
or a Patterpoo? Borderdoodle?
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
or a Patterpoo? Borderdoodle?
OOH Im liking!
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >