Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
naynay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2012, 08:48 AM

Suitable flooring

I need to replace some of the carpets due to accidents having occured and made worse by me trying to remove the stain!! I wanted to strip, sand and lacquer the floorboards ( well get a pro to do it! ) in the living room, hall and bedroom. Is this good for protection against the perils of wee if molly has an accident? especially as i wont always be around to mop it up straight away due to being in work..... I was toying with the idea of tiles in the hall - the victorian tile style - but not sure if this would be suitable for a sometimes loony hound!!!! I would put a mat down anyway probably on any surface. So i would appreciate some advice b 4 i splash out on anything and do the wrong thing.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2012, 09:50 AM
We laminated through out then had to put down rugs and carpets on top as Mollie kept slipping over, worried her hips wouldn't survive if she fell to often.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2012, 12:26 PM
My friend has had Amtico laid (Kerndean is similar) it isn't as slippery as laminate. I know of a couple of other doggy people who wouldn't have anything else.
naynay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-11-2012, 03:25 PM
i thought that floorboards stripped and lacquerred wern't as slippery as laminate flooring....
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by naynay View Post
i thought that floorboards stripped and lacquerred wern't as slippery as laminate flooring....
Dogs nails can scratch the lacquer, it would have to be very hard lacquer.

Don't know if anyone else on here has experience with varnished floors.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by naynay View Post
I need to replace some of the carpets due to accidents having occured and made worse by me trying to remove the stain!! I wanted to strip, sand and lacquer the floorboards ( well get a pro to do it! ) in the living room, hall and bedroom. Is this good for protection against the perils of wee if molly has an accident? especially as i wont always be around to mop it up straight away due to being in work..... I was toying with the idea of tiles in the hall - the victorian tile style - but not sure if this would be suitable for a sometimes loony hound!!!! I would put a mat down anyway probably on any surface. So i would appreciate some advice b 4 i splash out on anything and do the wrong thing.
Hello Nay if your house already has decent floor boards it seems a shame not to use them or to cover them up . If they are in good condition I would be inclined to spend my money on getting the advice and services of a professional to strip and seal them.

How often does Molly soil in the house, adult dogs shouldn't do this unless they have a medical problem.

If Molly is taken for a walk first thing , has the dog walker at lunch time and you take her out on your return home there shouldn't really be any accidents. I would also leave her somewhere like the kitchen rather than letting her have the run of the house particularly to begin with.
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2012, 07:47 PM
we had tile in kitchen and laminate in living room at old house phoebe would have the odd cartoon moment of legs running but going nowhere and the odd skid and crash in to a wall moment but i wouldnt say this was a daily thing and she was pretty bonkers the way she ran the length of the house. think they get use to the lack of traction. now i have carpet and hate it, i feel its always dirty
naynay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2012, 07:05 AM
I have been told by a floor tecnician that due to the high acid content og dog urine there is never 100% of any damage being done. most of her accidents occured when we first got her. however she can still make a puddle if she cant wait. not very long ago she came upstairs in the morning and before i knew it she was weeing on the carpet - which being yellow is now a bit mottled with other varying colours. one stain remover i tried left a greeny blue mark. i have bought something called Wee away which isnt much good either
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-11-2012, 08:06 AM
i think you need to find out why your dog cannot holds a wee, is your a dog a pup or a rescue, what walks does the dog get and do you ensure she empties on a walk, i think you may be tackling the problem from the wrong end (no pun intended).
naynay
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-11-2012, 01:57 PM
molly is a rescue greyhound have had her for just over a year. i take her oout before i go to bed at 10.00 and she wakes me up anythime between 5 and 6 sometimes wants a wee ssometimes doesnt. she wees on walks sometimes more than once. i walk her in the morning in tthe day if home and after work but always open the back door when she is near it.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >