Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jordanio0207
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2010, 10:06 AM

Raised feeders??

I think I need to get Rio a raised feeder as she has to lie down to eat her food, Has anyone got any ideas at which one would be the best to get??
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Has to lie down?

I use a plastic box it's cheap and it's easier to choose which height is right.
And when Louie drinks it goes everywhere so it's easier to clean up afterwards and it makes great storage for dry food
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Aren't raised bowls supposed to increase the risk of bloat? Rupert lies down to eat too, he seems to prefer to eat that way so I just leave him to it.
jordanio0207
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Yh well she starts off eating while sitting down but she looks so uncomfortable, then she lies down and eats like that I think it may be best to have a raised feeder to make it more comfortable, what do you think??
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 10:25 AM
We used to use a old plastic box turned upside down and put the feed dish on that, but we got fed up of the dog kicking the box half way through a meal, thus spilling the contents of his bowl.

We got one of these instead:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...l_stands/13179
jordanio0207
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
We used to use a old plastic box turned upside down and put the feed dish on that, but we got fed up of the dog kicking the box half way through a meal, thus spilling the contents of his bowl.

We got one of these instead:

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...l_stands/13179
Thanks I was just looking at these
jordanio0207
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Aren't raised bowls supposed to increase the risk of bloat? Rupert lies down to eat too, he seems to prefer to eat that way so I just leave him to it.
Yh i've just been reading about it, it's very controversial. I will read more into it before I decide
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by jordanio0207 View Post
Yh i've just been reading about it, it's very controversial. I will read more into it before I decide
I don't think I've read anything definite about it. It used to be thought that raised bowls decreased the risk but recently it's looking more like they actually increase the risk apparently. With Rupe having a deep chest I decided not to take the chance, he'd probably only grab a mouthful out of the bowl, drop it on the floor and then lie down to eat it anyway.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I heard that too but there are also people who will say a large dog stretching down to eat off the floor increases the risk. On balance I decided to get my large dog a raised bowl because he looked so uncomfortable eating off the floor. He now eats more slowly and seems more relaxed and comfortable with his new bowl. As mine are fed raw they get a lot of chicken carcasses. My large dog will go and find a flower pot that is the same height as his bowl to rest his carcass on while he eats it. That tells me that he prefers eating at that height than off the floor.

I still take all of the usual precautions like not feeding straight after exercise etc to manage the risk of bloat, especially as he is a deep chested dog.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 10:37 AM
We never had any troubles with the feeders (we had GSDs)

We used to raise them up, but not quite to the level with the shoulder or wherever your supposed to raise it to. Otherwise the dogs found it uncomfortable to eat.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >