Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-09-2010, 12:25 PM

A Good Day at Training for DILLON

Took Dillon to training on Friday and with the holidays only 2 for us turned up and we had a new trainer.

We did a lot of heel work, left and right turns, and short stays, and he was was a Darling hardly any trouble at all.
We had a talk about recall which Dillon is very good at, but in the park I use a squeaky toy, she asked if I had ever used a whistle which I haven't, so we tried one it was brilliant, the second time I tried it he almost took flight running back to me.

I am now using it at home when I leave him in one room and go into another I use it and he's there in seconds and at last he sits as soon as he's there and he then gets a treat.

I also told her about him jumping up when he goes for a walk, we tried a rattle bottle and that's working as well.

So all in all we have made improvements and I'm very proud of Dillon this week
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-09-2010, 04:58 PM

Hi

Congratulations to you and Dillon - he's doing great by the sound of it! Do you use any special type of whistle, I was interested to hear Dillon's recall has improved with it. It's something we badly need to work on with Bessie. She's good at the training class and comes straight to me. But take her to the beach and she's off like a bullet from a gun to play with the other dogs and then is just stone deaf to us calling her!
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Hi Cardaph

We got the whistle from training. I had the cheapest one there £1.50p she said is wasn't worth getting a dearer one just in case in didn't work. The dearer they are the louder they are and you can lock it to sound you want. Now I know it works I'll be getting a better a better one later. I'm sorry I don't know the make but Pets at Home sell them but I don't how much they are there.

I use it round the house and when he's out in the garden he doesn't even think about coming to me just reacts straight away. Trying it in the park later in the week.
cardaph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-09-2010, 05:27 PM

Good luck with the outing to the park! You will have to post on how you did.
I have bought one off Ebay for £1.69. Had a talk with the trainer at classes today and she agrees to start off in the house and garden before venturing further afield.
Briard Lover
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Hi Cardaph

Well working with the whistle at home he's fine, but in the park no chance he didn't what to know, there I was blowing the thing and him completely ignoring me, I did feel I fool, still he did come back for his squeaky toy.

But he is still doing well at training, I'm quite pleased with him.