Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
Thank you very much for the advice. I see this will take time and paticenc but on the good side I've managed to find a Professional Dog Training Service here in Dublin plus it's at a very good price per lesson so I think this is a must do on my list.O and I've read all the info from the two link's you posted up and they were very helpfull too .

Thanks
OMG please do not follow the advice in the reply.

I've had GSDs for the past 51 years & I have rehabilitated many rescue GSDs & never ever had to resort to physical methods nor did I ever have to "prove"I was the Alpha over any of them.

Like the others have written dogs know that we are not dogs & therefore cannot be part of a dog pack, however they can learn to see us as a source of food, safety & habitation.

It's worth taking time out to bond in the right way with your dog, make his meal times very rewarding for him(BTW GSDs should always be fed two meals a day)don't just plonk a food dish for him & once you have given him the food do not take it away until he has finished otherwise he will learn to resource guard. Better to put half his food in his dish & then add the rest whilst sitting near him, this will teach him that humans are very rewarding.

I have professionally trained GSDs for people & also trained owners with their own dogs for most of my adult life.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Yes I do, but then I have had extensive training by highly experienced professionals.
& I am a professional dog trainer specializing in GSDs & BCs for most of my adult life(well 45 years !!)& never needed to do what you advise everyone to do. especially with a 4 year old GSD male
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
See it all depends on your interpretation of pack leader/alpha male etc. Some see it as meaning being pretty much a bully. In my opinion, it means provider and protector and to a certain extend friend but not best buddy until the relationship is secure & on your terms!

Having said that, you know what they liken opinions to & everybody having one.....
Yer right, how many GSDs rehomes have you dealt with ?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by rich c View Post
Missed the point nicely there! OK, my bad. Alpha Female and/or Male. <Delete as appropriate>

Trouble put it well. It's a parental type role. Bear in mind that dogs are wolves that have been adapted by man to retain puppy/cub like behaviours so adoptive parents is a very good comparison.

Lastly it's better to think of yourself in a surrogate dog role than it is to think of your dog as human! Hands up anyone who's seen VERY confused and unbalanced dogs because they get treated too much like children...
I think they can become even more unbalanced , when we try to convince them we are dogs!!!!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

16-10-2009, 03:49 PM
As a lifetime owner and fosterer of rescue dogs I think Mini, C&D and Jackbox have given you some excellent advise

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Are you calling me a female dog, Rich person? Not very nice.
I`m not a dog. I`m not even a mummy to a dog. My dogs are not my children - they`re animals - worthy of respect and decent treatment.
I`ve never understood the I am Pack Leader thing. And I`ve rarely heard a woman voice it.
If you had horses, would be Leader of the Herd? How about if you had parrots?
This thread is way OT!
Wouldnt you be top stud and highest in the pecking order?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

16-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Well thanks for misinterpreting just about everything I was trying to say.

To Redrum, at the end of the day both you and Rocky are individuals so take advice from those who have training experience and those who just do what seems to fit and adapt it to what suits you! There's probably not much you can do to prepare except for trying to maintain a calm, secure environment for Rocky to settle into. All the best!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Surely the kind of experince gained working with the blank slate so to speak of a puppy is very different from the experience gained or needed working with rescue dogs?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Labman View Post
Don't even think of comparing yourself to the professionals at a service dog school.

You know nothing about me nor who or what I have trained with, the fact that I turned down a cash offer from the Met for one of my dogs(fully trained)at a time when they only ever had gifted dogs

If the professionals teach you to crate a puppy for hours on end I would put myself above them.

This dog is an adult GSD(have you ever homed an adult GSD ?)not a puppy

You may have had GSDs in the past, but were they these "service"dogs that you boast of ???? If they were puppies, then what you know about training adult GSDs certainly will not have come from the Service Dog people, as the puppies go back at around a year of age.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
If you had horses, would be Leader of the Herd? How about if you had parrots?

Wouldnt you be top stud and highest in the pecking order?
oh, you`re good!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-10-2009, 08:41 PM
Rich C, I do understand what you are saying
I think it dosent matter what you call it just so long as you are kind, fair and consistant
Personaly I wouldnt use Alpha because people missuse that to basically mean physicly overpower and bully your dog
Yes it has been seen that the Alpha wolves are the parents of the other wolves and they provide the food and 'train' the cubs to get them ready for the big wide world

In a way I guess I am that

Taking a new older dog into your house - I agree with lots of what has been said here
Dont worry about the dog pining - thats the past, nothing you can do about it
Decide what rules you want to have in your house, reward any good behaviour you like in your dog, and dont croud him - let him come to you and bond with you

Good on you taking him in, and great you are already looking at training classes
You are getting a loving smart sensitive breed that will prob pretty easy bond with you - be kind and fair and you will have a great dog
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »