Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Thanks guys for your comments

Duboing, She usually settles down straight to sleep when she goes to bed, and I don't hear her causing the trouble she does, so I assume she's doing it in the early hours of the morning, especially as (this is gonna sound gross!) when I cleaned up the sick she has produced after chewing the table, it was cold, but hadnt started to dry up or anything, so assume it had been there a couple of hours, which would be about 4-5am.

I could be a detective couldnt I?

She does do a lot during the day, she plays with the other dogs a lot, and she is always undergoing training as she is a showdog, so it's an ongoing thing to keep practising with her.

She has had all those ball thingys where she has to work out how to get the treat out, she worked it out by eating the door thingy that you put them in. She's had a few different designs, all met the same kind of fate within a couple of days.

She is very intelligent, obviously it's just finding something she can do at night, which will keep her occupied, that she won't get bored of or destroy.

Hmmmm

Crating her again is a very last resort, I tried it for 6 long months and she hated it immensely. Like I have mentioned she is a very light sleeper. She was constantly howling, crying, screaming to get out. I can understand that for a few weeks, but 6 months? She didn't even give up or even begin to settle. I'd have to force her in there (and she was a big pup) and lock her in and leave. I felt awful but she just wasn't having it. We tried everything to get her in on her own accord, foor, toys treats, me getting in with her. I remember ringing the vets and saying, "nope that hasn't worked, what next". It was my vet who in the end said just to get rid of it. I think if I crated her i'd have to crate the others too for even a chance of it working, (at the time all 3 dogs were crated in seperate crates) and I just dont have the kitchen for 3 crates, 2 of them being xtra large. Plus I wouldn't want to crate 2 perfectly happy dogs when they didn't need to be!
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Blimey she is testing your resourcefulness! How about a wee whiskey in her water in the evening, and a large one in yours

I am joking by the way!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2006, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by duboing
Blimey she is testing your resourcefulness! How about a wee whiskey in her water in the evening, and a large one in yours

I am joking by the way!
lol lol, maybe just one in mine then

I have to take up the water at night and but a bottle (like a rabbit bottle but made for dogs) otherwise theres a swimming pool in the morning and a very wet weimaraner.

I'm hoping maybe she's just having a difficult teenager stage, she's due her season any time now, I hope, I hope, I hopeeee
Tailwagger
Dogsey Junior
Male 

03-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Just a thought. If you think she causes the damage in the morning could it be that because it is light early that she thinks it's time to get up.
Mutley will sleep in until I get up at around 7.30 in the winter months but during the summer he is up and abount at 5.30. I can hear him being restless and sometimes sniffing under my closed bedroom door probably wondering why I'm not getting up.
Could you black out the kitchen so she doesn't see any daylight till you get up?
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally Posted by Tailwagger
Just a thought. If you think she causes the damage in the morning could it be that because it is light early that she thinks it's time to get up.
Mutley will sleep in until I get up at around 7.30 in the winter months but during the summer he is up and abount at 5.30. I can hear him being restless and sometimes sniffing under my closed bedroom door probably wondering why I'm not getting up.
Could you black out the kitchen so she doesn't see any daylight till you get up?
THAT'S A PLAN!

I never thought of that, I will get some blackout curtains and try it! Thank you
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2006, 08:04 PM
Oh dear, she is a little pickle, isn't she?
She could still be teething I suppose - and only notices at night the discomfort when there is nothing else to distract her. You must be so frustrated!

If it was me, I think I would go back to the crate idea, using a clicker to teach her going in there is great! The following is how I'd do it - I'm a novice at clicker-training, not an expert, so it might pay to get expert advice on this.

Set it up with some favourite toys inside, leave the door open and wait. Go slowly, and c/t every tiny move in the right direction, even if she just looks at it, to start with. Gradually hold out for a step towards it, then a nose in a the door, then a paw, etc. Don't ever be tempted to push her in, and when she DOES go in, don't leap up and shut the door!! She has to be going in by herself, laying down and looking comfortable while you play with the door before you shut it; and even then, only for a moment, and LOADS of praise! Then try shutting it for a few more seconds . . then a full minute . .you get the idea!

It may take a while for her to get there, especially if she has bad associations with it.

In the meantime, I recommend Bitter Apple spray, most dogs hate it even if they don't mind other anti-chew sprays. Also you could try a mix of whisky and water in a spray - a tip a trainer gave me years ago. Apparently most dogs hate the smell of scotch! Don't ask me why!

Best of luck, I hope she settles soon!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2