View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ajshep1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2008, 12:57 PM

It's not Addisons Disease, what could it be?

My Border Collie's brother has been suffering the symptoms of Addisons he's had the tests and they've ruled out Addisons disease, anemeia and diabetes, his heart rate and breathing are normal, what else could it be?

I had suspicions myself it wasn't Addisons because it didn't quite fit right with what I was reading on the net but I'm at a loss as to what it could be. He basically looks out of it, confused and sort of dazed, his general demeaner is one of weakness. He can walk a few steps, but only with his back legs unusually splayed outwards and then his front limbs start giving way, folding at the knees first and then his whole body follows until he's slumped on the floor. He also seems to favour sitting outside under a bush rather than the hussle of their five dog household. It's a sad sight to see, any guidance as to other possibilities greatly appreciated.

EDIT: He's 10 months old. Just got this extra info from his owner too: Blood tests showed his electrolyte levels were normal. Last night he picked up after the oral prednisolone, then this morning, after the oral dose has worn off, he's back to how I've described above.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2008, 02:54 PM
Sorry, I can't help but I will contact my friend who went through this and thought it Addisons, however like yours tested clear for everything. I'll give her a call and find out what the outcome was. The dogs perfectly well now.
I will also ask the question for you on a few of the BC forums as they'res alot of experts on there. See what I can find out.
ajshep1984
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks, the owner has been speaking to people in the breed and they have no idea what it could be, it's a complete mystery. The latest is they're thinking Cushings because of a raised cortisone level but he's only 10 months old. Everyone seems to be at a loss as to what it could be.