Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2006, 05:32 PM

Info on how to rehome needed

Hi everyone that has helped me out before with advice. I have two labrador puppies, I mentioned before that they chewed up every wall in the room that they stay in. A week ago they dug under two fences and got into a neighbours shed shredding their rubbish everywhere. Last night we stayed at my mother in law's house and they jumped up at a side ate everything that was on it, and chewed the whole ceramic floor in the middle.
I tried them in a crate but i bought one from someone that had a dog before, i didnt realise it were broke and they escaped. I cant afford for these dogs to keep doing what they are doing, and now have decided to get rid of the one that causes the most trouble, and see how the other one does. If the other doesnt change after then she will have to go too. They are 8 months old. Does anyone know a good site that i can advertise her on please as i need to do something before anything else is destroyed. thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.
Adele4dan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Its really sad that you will have to give one/them up, It sounds to me like they get very bored when they are left alone, do they get at least 3 walks a day? My friend has a crazy lab that she was walking twice a day she increased it to 3 and he is alot less crazy. Also a natural diet might help, all the colourants and junk in some dog food can make dogs very hyper, you could try a burns diet, i cannot speak from experience but im told its very good. It would be worth speaking to a behavourist, and maybe even try some alternative therapy. im sure you love them very much even though they do all this, If it was me I would try everything to keep them before making a decision. If you really need to sell them I found my pup on epupz.co.uk, Good Luck x
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2006, 05:54 PM
thanks for your reply. I found them on e-pupz too. I would love to keep them, but it seems like its one thing after another and im in a lot of debt at the moment and cant afford for her to keep doing these things. I bought them muzzles and they managed to get them over their noze and chew them up, so now they are useless. I was in bed when they chewed the floor up, and that was after at least a 5 mile walk, and they had had that twice that day.
I went to bed late, and checked on them during the night, somewhere in the time of 5 hours they managed to cause so much damage. I felt awful when i had to tell my mother in law, and i have no idea how im going to pay for it. It just seems like 2 puppies is too much hassle at the moment. I have been put off buying another puppy. I have never had this before or known it...it must be a labrador thing.
I tried looking for an all natural food, all i could find was a food called DUCK, but that is frozen meat. I get Dr. Johns Gold medal dry food.. which costs £7.00 two of them last a month.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Hi jade&sky I am sorry you are having to re home one or both of your puppies, they will be teething at this time and that can make them destructive.

Taking on two puppies at the same time is a huge undertaking, I would never have two together...training them is difficult because they need to be trained separately and people seldom have that much time to devote to 2.

If Gundogs are bored/teething/ under stimulated they can become destructive and it is important that your Labrador puppy goes to someone who understands gundog puppies.

Have you tried Labrador rescue ? There are various ones to cover different areas of the country and you will find them by doing a Goggle search for L/R. They will ensure you puppy goes to a suitable vetted home.
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-07-2006, 07:38 PM
Here is a list of Labrador Rescue. Please call one of these people as they will ensure your pup gets the most suitable home for her needs.

Labrador Lifeline Trust
Anne Carter (Admin), Blandford Forum, Dorset. Tel: 01725.516969
Fax: 01725.516955, Email: selabres@aol.com
www.labrador-lifeline.co.uk

Labrador Rescue
Mrs A Latchford, Shenfield, Essex. Tel: 01277 226587 Fax: 01277 230795
Email: dogs@labrador-rescue.co.uk.

Labrador Rescue Kent
Mrs M Hinks, Cranbrook Kent. Tel: 01580 720408
Email: LabRescueKent@aol.com
Mrs C Malkinson, Chatham, Kent Tel: 01634 666419
Email: carol@malkinson.freeserve.co.uk
www.labrescuekent.freeuk.com

Labrador Rescue North West
Mrs G Fryer, Blackburn, Lancs. Tel: 01254 207660.
Email: labrador@rescue70.freeserve.co.uk
www.helpalabrador.co.uk

Labrador Rescue - Scotland
Miss V. Salmon, Cupar, Fife. Tel: 01337 858363
Email: nicper@hotmail.com

Labrador Rescue South East and Central
Mindy Randell (Co-ordinator) Hants, Surrey, Sussex Bucks, Berks,
Middx & S.London Tel: 0207 228 3310
June & David Cooper (Co-ordinators) E. London, East Anglia, Essex,
Lincolnshire & Kent Tel: 01621 891860
Alison Floyd (Co-ordinator) Herts, N. London, Beds, Essex &
Cambridgeshire Tel: 01494 815993
Sue Ellett (Co-ordinator) Bucks, Milton Keynes, Northamptonshire
Tel: 01296 711116
Christine Bayliss (Co-ordinator) Leics, Derbyshire, Rutland &
Midlands. Tel: 01455 821 775
Fiona Miller (Co-ordinator) Part Oxon, Bucks, Berks Tel: 01993 778220

Labrador Retriever Rescue Southern England
Jean & Peter Henman (Co-ordinators) Sussex Tel: 01243 605948
Sue Birmingham (Co-ordinator) Surrey Tel: 020 8408 1214
Tracy Lister (Co-ordinator) Kent Tel: 01580 830554
Email: sue.birmingham@btinternet.com

Labrador Rescue Trust
Mrs Belinda Filmer (Regional Co-ordinator), Cheltenham. Tel: 01242 820432
Mrs Sheila Pratt (Area Co-ordinator), Somerset. Tel: 01278 685815
Mrs Sheridan Stern (Area Co-ordinator), Cornwall. Tel: 01208 77749
Miss Linda Edwards (Area Co-ordinator), Devon. Tel: 01837 83595
Mr and Mrs Bryan and Gloria Jones (Area Co-ordinator), Dorset. Tel: 01202 245691
Mrs Christine Warman (Area Co-ordinator), Wiltshire. Tel: 01793 487346
www.labrador-rescue.com Email: enquiries@labrador-rescue.com

Labrador Welfare
Mrs K Davis (Chairman), Goole, North Humberside. Tel: 01405 766753
Miss J Roberts (Secretary), Sheffield, S Yorks. Tel: 01142 661756

Midland Counties Labrador Retriever Club Rescue
Mr H Cook, Nottingham, Notts. Tel: 0115 921 3785

Northern Labrador Rescue
Mr G Thackery (Secretary) Barnsley, Yorks . Tel: 01226 351888
Miss F Grant, Morpeth, Northumberland. Tel: 01665 570365

North West Labrador Retriever Club Rescue
Mrs P Balshaw (Co-ordinator), Blackpool, Lancs. Tel: 01142 450044
Mrs M Wilkinson, Chorley, Lancs. Tel: 01257 480968
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2006, 07:40 PM
This is a very sad tale, did you not know that Labs are renowned for chewing and did the breeder not discourage you from have two pups together. Sorry I can't be sympatric because people buying dogs should do their homework and breeders worth their salt should not sell two pups to a novice owner, it's the dogs that suffer.
Holly663
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2006, 07:53 PM
Hi thank you for your help, i will use your information. I just hope they get a good home. I feel really bad for them that they are going to be seperated. I seperate them during training, but they are constantly getting into trouble, and i am in an army quarter and will be billed when i leave for any damage caused. Unfortunatly the breeder did not inform me that it would be a bad idea to take two on. They didnt say anything really...I asked a couple of questions, paid for them and that was it. I wish i had of got books before looking at buying a labrador. I thought buying two would be good for them to keep eachother company. They have days where they are really good and other days where they are a complete nightmare. Sometimes they take it in turns one day Jade will be really good, and Sky will do everything she knows she isnt allowed to do, and vise versa. I love both my dogs to pieces but i cant manage to do anything else without spending money i havent got. The sooner i sort it out the better for both puppies. I just hope they get a good home. thank you all for your help, it is very much appreciated.
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2006, 10:46 PM
sorry to hear of your dilema. There are lots of resuce's in your area that you may also wish to try. Friends of animals, RSPCA, STArescue, SFAW, DBARC to name just a few
Good Luck.
darasa
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-07-2006, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by Pita
This is a very sad tale, did you not know that Labs are renowned for chewing and did the breeder not discourage you from have two pups together. Sorry I can't be sympatric because people buying dogs should do their homework and breeders worth their salt should not sell two pups to a novice owner, it's the dogs that suffer.
Have to agree 100% with Pitas post..labs chew anything and everything in their environment, lab pups are NOT like the andrex adverts.. in my honest opinion if you rehome one you will end up with 1 pup that still chews anything and everything ..... they don't do it forever .. and as bright dogs they need a lot of stimulation in their environment.. I don't mean to be unkind but you should really have researched the breed more before getting them ...I wish you luck in finding them more suitable homes
Rachel
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2006, 08:17 PM
Please please please don't put them on e pupz. Its not a nice place to rehome a dog.
Please get in contact with your nearest rescue centre. They are more qualified in vetting a good kind home.
You can't trust anyone. They may look nice but you don't know what they are like behind closed doors. Especially if they haven't been speyed. They may be wanting them for breeding purposes. Which in my eyes would be a definate NO!!!
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >