Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Just had a phone call What the ????

From a man on a mobile wanting a BC puppy for his 17 year old daughter on.................................Xmas eve !!!!!!

Pointed out no good breeder would have puppies available for Xmas & really not during the winter as puppies really thrive best in the spring & early summer & are much easier to house train then.

He replied he hadn't thought of that !!!!!

Give me strength
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-10-2012, 05:25 PM
Whilst I can appreciate your sentiments, may I point out that not ALL dogs are that well organised that they have a litter just in time for spring/summer. Cariad comes into season in August, take it or leave it. It is a matter of vetting all enquiries anyway, just because someone wants a puppy doesn't mean to say you have to let them have one, if everything else stacks up and all boxes are ticked then it wouldn't bother me if a puppy that was ready to go at that time, went for Christmas Eve. If you had lost your dog just before Christmas and you saw the breed you were interested in had puppies available at that time, then you would enquire about them. I have had people have a puppy off me for a birthday present, they had done their homework and it was a good home, should I have turned them down because it was their birthday
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 05:38 PM
We always try to get puppies at Christmas time it's the best time for us to get them settled as we don't celebrate or have decorations and are both home for a reasonable amount of the day. Also not back and forward for weekends away at that time of year so ideal time for us.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-10-2012, 05:48 PM
I would think every breeder would prefer a summer litter when the weather is better.

But I guess you have to go with the bitches cycle, and if it deems a winter litter , so be it.

A breeder has to vet owners at all times of the year, I would not judge a breeder to be bad, due to a winter litter.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 06:32 PM
My breed usually produces pups in December/January, bitches only come into season once a year.
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-10-2012, 07:29 PM
It could be that his daughter has waited years to be allowed to have a pup, who knows?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Whilst I can appreciate your sentiments, may I point out that not ALL dogs are that well organised that they have a litter just in time for spring/summer. Cariad comes into season in August, take it or leave it. It is a matter of vetting all enquiries anyway, just because someone wants a puppy doesn't mean to say you have to let them have one, if everything else stacks up and all boxes are ticked then it wouldn't bother me if a puppy that was ready to go at that time, went for Christmas Eve. If you had lost your dog just before Christmas and you saw the breed you were interested in had puppies available at that time, then you would enquire about them. I have had people have a puppy off me for a birthday present, they had done their homework and it was a good home, should I have turned them down because it was their birthday
Completely agree.

I would want to know more about why they were considering getting a pup just before Christmas etc, but it wouldn't automatically put me off. We always have a very quiet Christmas at home with no visitors etc. Christmas doesn't automatically mean tons of parties, noise, people.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 08:52 AM
I think I would be more concerned that a 17 year old might lose interest with boyfriends looming than the Christmas thing.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Well I would never breed a litter that was ready for rehoming at Xmas time & would never let anyone buy a puppy for someone else either. Never have in the past either.

This guy was wanting the puppy for his daughter's Xmas present

No chance of anyone getting one of my puppies as purely a pet anyway as they are of the breeding that doesn't make good pets, they need an"occupation"of some sort.

Hadn't given it any thought re house training etc just thought it would be nice !!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Some times it just does your head in!

I had a stud enquiry the other day for a bitch that has "dog aggression issues" and how much was it to use my dog. I replied "Surely the question you should be asking is why on earth you are considering breeding from her at all!"

I heard nothing back.....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >