Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I wonder if those people think the same about children. EG they will never have their own children whilst so many are in foster homes, children's home or orphanages?

I do not see the pressure on potential parents to do this instead of procreate the way I see the pressure put (by some) on potential dog owners to get a dog from rescue rather than an ethical, reputable breeder.

I wonder why?

I certainly do NOT feel guilty about buying a puppy and ONE of the reasons for this is that practically no rescue is going to allow me to have a dog with my lifestyle.

Even if they did, I would want OWNERSHIP not KEEPERSHIP.

And if that requirement was met I would have to be the person who decided whether or not the dog was neutered and when.
Kinda agree with this actually.
I decided that since I'd had my dog from a puppy I would look for a rescue next time which turned out to be a pretty fruitless and thankless task tbh!!

I have since decided that whether I get a puppy from a breeder or a dog from rescue the right one will come along at the right time. That said it can be pretty off-putting to go through the rescue lines. Especially as SB has pointed out, a lot of them just wont rehome to me anyway and when I bring a dog into my home as part of the family I expect to be the owner and not bossed around as to whether I need to do X,Y or Z. and one thing I WILL NOT do is chop body parts off my dog to suit a rescue who will probably be giving me a spayed female anyway...and a few more reasons too
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:54 PM
It is funny you brought this up Murf as I was actually thinking about this the other day.

I actually DO feel a bit guilty, especially as I volunteer for GSD Rescue. There are so many dogs that need a home I have rescued in the past and no doubt will do again in the future.

However, for the timebeing it suits my personal circumstances to buy pups from ethical and responsible breeders and so I will continue to do so. It doesn't stop my feelings of guilt though when yet another shepherd comes into rescue through no fault of its own.

Edited to add : Not many rescues would rehome to me in any event, as I have a young child and various other (some unneutered) dogs
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 05:56 PM
I wouldn't feel guilty if said dog come from a reptuable breeder, but I also don't see the need for me to go to another dog breeder, I love my pets, I love my hounds, I prefer adults to puppies, and when I know theres so many dogs in rescue that would be suited to me, or some only need minor life changes, a couple that would need bigger, but that they don't all have problems why would I get a puppy from a breeder, instead of taking a dog out of a situation where there are too many already?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Of the 6 dogs I have had, 5 were rescues (none had "issues").

I would never buy another pup, I would always rescue.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:06 PM
No I don't feel guilty having said that it's been a while since I have bought a dog as all my younger ones have been bred by me.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:06 PM
I don't feel guilty at all. I have had rescues and bought just three of my dogs. Of the 7 I have now I bought 1.

No one should feel guilty for having the dog they want from wherever they want to source it.

That includes ANY breeder or ANY rescue.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-10-2011, 06:12 PM
No, not at all, its my choice to make!!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Nope, my situation isnt right for a rescue. Any dogs in the forseeable future will be either bought in or bred by me.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:16 PM
no i dont feel guilty. i bought both of mine, and will either be buying or breeding my next one, most probably.

having said that i would like to rescue in the future, maybe an oldie.. or id like to foster or something. i really have looked into fostering but nana wont let me while im here, so we shall see what the future brings.

but no i dont feel guilty about buying a dog.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
no i dont feel guilty. i bought both of mine, and will either be buying or breeding my next one, most probably.

having said that i would like to rescue in the future,....
exactly. One or two of each - that`s what you want.
Page 2 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »