View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 12:04 PM
I recently had one in training with terrible temprement issues (at 4.5 months)

Was really snappy with new people and growled when anyone approached. He is doing much better now, but is never going to be an easy dog. Luckily he has fallen on his feet and has owners who are in it for the long haul. He has a lot of collie traits (herding/nipping) and is fairly aloof as well.

Interesting cross - but one I would probably advise people to steer clear off unless they were up for a challenge.
heatherrosina
New Member!
Female 

18-06-2011, 12:23 PM
we sold a litter of 8 before and all have been fine, stayed in touch with owners and no problems. Always depends on the owners though and have to be sure they realise they have a breed that needs exercise and good training.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by heatherrosina View Post
we sold a litter of 8 before and all have been fine, stayed in touch with owners and no problems. Always depends on the owners though and have to be sure they realise they have a breed that needs exercise and good training.
They have a cross - and it could go either way. These owners were not stupid and they have worked with this boy from a young age. It is NOT their fault. this litter should not have happened IMO - but that is another thread.
I cannot agree with this kind of cross.
Elizabeth13
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Well, as I stated Tassle, I had a wonderful friend and family member for a good 16 years or so, and she was an absolute star.
Fair enough, she had some problems to begin with (like any abused case) such as lead walking, and it took a good year before she started to bond with us but it was well worth it after that and we had many years of happiness.
I can quite honestly say she was a perfect dog after we worked with her and gained her trust and partnership. She was one in a million.

I cannot agree with pedigree's with all the inbreeding causing so many genetic problems (this cannot be disregarded, the proof is plain and simple whether people accept it or not) but that's beside the issue here. Some people swear by crossbreeds, some people swear by pure breeds - but the owners play the biggest part in how a dog behaves.

Heatherrosina - Would love to see some photos!

And yes, they are a high energy crossbreed, as both pure breeds are very active working type dogs.
Elizabeth13
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2011, 01:17 PM
I would also like to ask you Tassle, how you presume a dog at 4.5months (still a puppy) is going to be assured that it will ALWAYS be a problem dog and not an easy dog?
IMO i think thats totally wrong to assume so much of a puppies future without even giving it the benefit of the doubt.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 05:22 PM
I recently saw a litter of Collie x Dalmatian pups for sale, they were merle mostly.

I have a Dalmatian and a Border Collie myself and I'm not sure I would have a cross of the 2

Hope you manage to get a new family friend, where it be a Collie, a Dalmatian, a mix of the 2 or something completely different
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Originally Posted by Elizabeth13 View Post
I would also like to ask you Tassle, how you presume a dog at 4.5months (still a puppy) is going to be assured that it will ALWAYS be a problem dog and not an easy dog?
IMO i think thats totally wrong to assume so much of a puppies future without even giving it the benefit of the doubt.
I have rarely seen such aggression (and yes - that is what it was) in such a young pup.

Thanks to his understanding owners who are willing to put the time in I have high hopes that he will have a good future. It does not change my opinion - he was bred as a money making exercise by people jumping on the 'these are crossbreed and therefore healthy' bandwagon.

Health testing (including temprement) is needed whatever you are breeding. I have a border collie who has a low COI and has had all her health tests and comes from generations of health tested dogs - and was probably cheaper that most of the crosses!
Elizabeth13
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I recently saw a litter of Collie x Dalmatian pups for sale, they were merle mostly.

I have a Dalmatian and a Border Collie myself and I'm not sure I would have a cross of the 2

Hope you manage to get a new family friend, where it be a Collie, a Dalmatian, a mix of the 2 or something completely different
I know of a breeder of both collies and dalmatians who sometimes crosses these, but i am avoiding buying any to be honest when i can help it (i prefer to rescue and help rehabilitate instead when possible) so its no rush, and i don't have the time currently for a puppy.

I currently have an old 9 year old collie mix lovely chappy that i am fostering for a rescue, and my parents have two collies so i'm never far from the breed!
Elizabeth13
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I have rarely seen such aggression (and yes - that is what it was) in such a young pup.

Thanks to his understanding owners who are willing to put the time in I have high hopes that he will have a good future. It does not change my opinion - he was bred as a money making exercise by people jumping on the 'these are crossbreed and therefore healthy' bandwagon.

Health testing (including temprement) is needed whatever you are breeding. I have a border collie who has a low COI and has had all her health tests and comes from generations of health tested dogs - and was probably cheaper that most of the crosses!
Well, careless breeding via tempraments and health are possible and ripe in any animals (most particularly in rats, where some breeders are not interested if there nice bucks become aggressive at the age of 2 and pass it on to their young). You will get that anywhere, whether it be pure breeds or crosses (as you know, people can breed breeds as pure even without papers).

I still think its unfair to call the puppy a bad dog for the future or a difficult dog for the future when it has yet to be.

Anyway, straying off topic here.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-06-2011, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by Elizabeth13 View Post
(most particularly in rats, where some breeders are not interested if there nice bucks become aggressive at the age of 2 and pass it on to their young).
In my experience it's very unusual for a previously good-natured male rat to suddenly change temperament at the age of 2...! If so I would certainly suspect it was due to a veterinary reason (pain or ill health) as a 2 year old rat is well over 60 years of age in human terms.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >