View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2010, 07:31 PM

A really good day for Snoop! (and my arm!)

Started the day with a walk where Lily and Snoop had a wonderful play and then a young Pointer joined in the fun which was so lovely to watch. Snoop and him had great fun together and it's wonderful watching this boy having a great time! He is a funny old thing though, and when he has had enough he will just stop and sit by the gate. Home time!

I bought him a halti earlier as although he is good on the outward part of our evening road walks, he pulls like a demon to get home and my neck, shoulder and arm are feeling the strain of this! So tonights walk was an absolute dream. No longer a bull at the end of the lead, more like a delicate, little Chihuahua! (sorry Snoop! ) He settled really quickly with it and my goodness, it was like someone had flicked a switch with him.

Just before we went out I wanted to do some more work with the cats so armed with biscuits, I took him upstairs. He was really good and touched noses with one cat and ignored her when she walked past him. Later on he did run at another of the cats but stopped when he got hissed at and I told him to leave it. I really feel that he is going to be fine with them but he may need the odd bop or two from them to establish boundaries. I'm keeping them separate for now but will start to leave doors open (supervised) in a few days.

Lily is still not willing to play with him indoors and will snap if he pushes it with her. He does listen, usually, but a couple of times I've had to distract him which is very simple to do. I don't leave her with him when I'm not home as I wouldn't want him to annoy her without me being able to step in if needed. Dylan is totally fine with him and Snoop just seems to know that the old man is not for playing with.

All in all, he is settling well and amazes me with his good behaviour, no problems being left, and his general loving nature. All this from a young pup who has had little in the form of boundaries or consistency in his life.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2010, 07:37 PM
Well done Snoop - I'm lucky at my parents with the cats - they've taught Louie themselves...none of them run away from dogs as they all live with dogs on my estate so he's had a few paws flying at his nose - he still gets wiggly and tries to get them to play then finds somethign else.

But well done and I know what you mean about pulling like a demon! And mines not a bull breed! good luck with him and hope he finds a home soon - I'd have him if I could - my OH quite likes staffies but I'm scared of what Benjie would do -he's an idiot...so hope he finds a forever home soon (unless you fail and keep him yourself )
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2010, 10:02 PM
He's so lovely Claire. He seems very willing to listen and take direction. You wouldnt believe he's only eight months, he's so mature in many ways then you see the hint of puppy that comes out when he plays. I suppose he's been through so much at such a young age, he would have had to grow up pretty quickly. But he's such a great natured young man and I think it wont take much to turn him into a ballanced, well behaved dog. Of course there will be ups and downs but all the time the ups outnumber the downs then carry on with the fantastic work you have started. (but I still think he's an Elvis! )
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Well done Snoop - I'm lucky at my parents with the cats - they've taught Louie themselves...none of them run away from dogs as they all live with dogs on my estate so he's had a few paws flying at his nose - he still gets wiggly and tries to get them to play then finds somethign else.

But well done and I know what you mean about pulling like a demon! And mines not a bull breed! good luck with him and hope he finds a home soon - I'd have him if I could - my OH quite likes staffies but I'm scared of what Benjie would do -he's an idiot...so hope he finds a forever home soon (unless you fail and keep him yourself )
Strangely it's my little semi feral cat who is the boldest and she is the one he touched noses with! I think they will all be fine but because there was some initial concern over his behaviour around cats, I have been over cautious.

Honestly, I have been in such pain today! Should have bought the halti sooner but at least I have it now and it has made the world of difference. He's a big lad, much taller than your average Staff, so he has a lot of power. Well he's not been advertised on the rescue site yet so there's no pressure there. He's a sweetie so we shall see...

Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
He's so lovely Claire. He seems very willing to listen and take direction. You wouldnt believe he's only eight months, he's so mature in many ways then you see the hint of puppy that comes out when he plays. I suppose he's been through so much at such a young age, he would have had to grow up pretty quickly. But he's such a great natured young man and I think it wont take much to turn him into a ballanced, well behaved dog. Of course there will be ups and downs but all the time the ups outnumber the downs then carry on with the fantastic work you have started. (but I still think he's an Elvis! )
I know. You are right but as you know, I needed to stop stressing and be able to see that. Dogs that want to rip a cat to pieces will not be swayed by a simple command or a hiss so I'm pretty sure we will have the cat thing sorted within a week or two. He is very laid back. The girl in the pet shop today absolutely fell in love with him (she has 2 Staffs of her own) and she said the same, he is very sweet and very calm for such a young dog. Bah Elvis! I think he should be called Doofus or something like that! He is such a big softy he needs a soppy name!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
Strangely it's my little semi feral cat who is the boldest and she is the one he touched noses with! I think they will all be fine but because there was some initial concern over his behaviour around cats, I have been over cautious.

Honestly, I have been in such pain today! Should have bought the halti sooner but at least I have it now and it has made the world of difference. He's a big lad, much taller than your average Staff, so he has a lot of power. Well he's not been advertised on the rescue site yet so there's no pressure there. He's a sweetie so we shall see...

I know. You are right but as you know, I needed to stop stressing and be able to see that. Dogs that want to rip a cat to pieces will not be swayed by a simple command or a hiss so I'm pretty sure we will have the cat thing sorted within a week or two. He is very laid back. The girl in the pet shop today absolutely fell in love with him (she has 2 Staffs of her own) and she said the same, he is very sweet and very calm for such a young dog. Bah Elvis! I think he should be called Doofus or something like that! He is such a big softy he needs a soppy name!
Lol. He's not a Doofus, he's far to clever for that. Maybe Scooby as the scooby snacks seem to help with the cat training. But he will always be Elvis to me cos he's a hunka hunka burnin luv!!
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
Lol. He's not a Doofus, he's far to clever for that. Maybe Scooby as the scooby snacks seem to help with the cat training. But he will always be Elvis to me cos he's a hunka hunka burnin luv!!
I reckon he has selective brain power as sometimes he is really quick to learn and other times he goes into 'don't get it' mode. I think Lurch would suit him too!
oleary
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-12-2010, 10:54 PM
It seems you had a great day and lots of fun,like me i went for a good long walk with mac had a swim and a game of throw now Im pooped and nearly read to go to sleep.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-12-2010, 10:48 AM
brilliant sounds like he is doing really well.

I wont say it but you know what I want to type at the end here LOL LOL