Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2010, 02:01 PM

Who Fosters?

Do many of you Foster Dogs? If you do, what kind of dogs do you foster? And more importantly what are they like behaviour wise? Are they always well behaved dogs, good with other dogs, people etc?
Or do you sometimes end up with a dog with a few behaviour problems?

I am genuinly interested, though I am not going to foster myself.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 02:23 PM
I foster. I'll foster anything, but I prefer to foster dogs with issues that I can help them overcome, so they're considered adoptable. I haven't fostered for awhile, as my own dogs need alot of time and energy, well Oliver does, so i decided to focus on him, and go from there. Maybe once he's settled a bit, we'll go back to fostering.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 02:50 PM
I foster for springer rescue, and basically its any dog that needs it, we have coped with dogs that don't like other dogs, dogs that are distrustful of people, dogs that fit in like they've lived here forever, nice dogs that just don't fit with ours, and all sorts of behavioural and training issues, after all thats what fostering is all about, to assess the dog and from that assesment define what the perfect new home is for them.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 03:51 PM
I have fostered for the SHHHHHH... RSPCA Sorry I know its a rude word! for a year and this year beagle rescue. With the rspca I was contacted about dogs that were available and would go with dogs we felt would fit in with my 2. One was dog just found that day half starving a staffy cross,others had been kept outside for 6 months others a year with no interaction with the outside world,My first was on old Jack Russell who'd been locked in a porter cabin left to starve. I have had dogs with seperation anxiety that have been given up on twice by different owners and have one at the moment who has been badly mistreated by someone Some fit in like they have always lived here,some take a while to fit in and one clashed a lot with one of my existing dogs.She also clashed with many others but she got there. Toilet training can be tough with an older dog who has lived outside all of it's life,but it is possible So the answer is how long is a piece of string ?,they all have different personalities and some are better behaved than others As Lizzy23 said you can assess them better in the home enviroment,and let the new owners know what the dog is like ,better than a kennel can ,although from my experience even though I tell it like it is warts and all, they don't always listen!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 04:56 PM
I have fostered, on and off, fo ra good while now and although I'm happy to take on any dog, as I have a 6 year old Son they MUST be OK with kids. Fortunately, most dogs are.

I'd prefer to foster GSDs or Akitas as I knwo the breeds well. But I'll take on any dog, with or without problems, even if it has problems with other dogs as I can easily separate dogs at home and can work on the problem.

The most rewarding time is when a foster dog goes off to their new home and in just a few weeks maybe you've been able to turn the dog around, get it some training, teach it to trust people, stop mouthing, stop jumping up etc. Having said that, I do end up in tears everytime one goes.

I've also failed - quite recently too. Tashi is a lurcher whom was definitely NOT going to be staying. But she got her paws under the table so quickly I didn't even realise it. So she's here to stay now.

If ever you do consider it, I'd say go for it. It's fantastic to know you're helping a dog. And when that dog goes, you can help another one.

Laura xx
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-11-2010, 05:24 PM
I tried once. After five days with my first foster dog, he became my third dog. I seem to be pretty crap at it !
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 07:22 PM
I foster, mainly sighthounds. I have an 8 month old pup i have had for nearly three months now waiting for a forever home. There is a lady coming on Sunday to see her so fingers crossed. The ladies homecheck was successful so lets hope she likes Ruby. The dog i fostered before her i only had a week.

She is the first puppy i have had here and i think i'll be sticking to adults in future though !!!!
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
I tried once. After five days with my first foster dog, he became my third dog. I seem to be pretty crap at it !
I tried it too...and now have 5 dogs instead of two!!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
What a shame , we are desperate for foster homes at the mo
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 08:58 PM
we foster, as we foster for a little dog rescue and a breed rescue (Chinese Cresteds) most dogs we foster are small breeds.
All dogs are different some have had 'issues', some have fitted in perfectly with our dogs.