View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spot
Dogsey Veteran

10-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
The rescues that take the dogs on, should IMO, have full vet checks done and those reports should be sent to the powers that be. they should be bombarded with the information. I haven't got that info, only the rescues have.

CC....if the puppy farmers know there is a rescue willing to take the dogs off their hands, the dogs become even more disposable as it isn't even costing them the price of a bullet or injection. I know that sounds awful...but it's true. The dogs are more disposable because they can just be given away, no matter what condition they are in.
I do not have an answer for it...aside from the idea that the rescuers should be rwecording everything and having indepth vet reports done as soon as the dogs are given to them. Those vet reports should be sent to everyone who may be able to do something, the councils, the government, dog wardens, RSPCA. It isn't good enough to say 'they know already' as that is just brushing the problem to one side...you need to be on them all the time. I can't do that...I don't have the information to hand.
These dogs are already disposable - they are breeding stock! So you are saying these rescues dont get these dogs vet checked?

Its just another rescues cant win situation isnt it - or another chance for you to have a go at them.

They are doing everything they can - but these places are not against the law - so long as the dogs have shelter food and water there is nothing much anyone can do apart from educate the public as to what is happening and try to get them to rescue or buy from reputable breeders - thats where the education needs to come in - so long as there is a demand these people will continue.

Now you might prefer for the farmers to buy a bullet your opinion fair enough but a shovel costs nothing.

Its all very well to say I cant do anything isnt it - how about taking on a rescue dog to save another one out there? Or how about going with KC and trying to educate these farmers yourself?
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Why are you uncomfortable can you not understand what I keep telling you, this isnt just suddenly happening all the authorities know.
And lets be frank drowning a dog costs nothing.
You say your uncomfortable yet looked at a rescue dog did that make you uncomfortable apart from you worried would attack your dogs and kids?
So should the rescue you help at not take dogs in?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
These dogs are already disposable - they are breeding stock! So you are saying these rescues dont get these dogs vet checked?

Its just another rescues cant win situation isnt it - or another chance for you to have a go at them.

They are doing everything they can - but these places are not against the law - so long as the dogs have shelter food and water there is nothing much anyone can do apart from educate the public as to what is happening and try to get them to rescue or buy from reputable breeders - thats where the education needs to come in - so long as there is a demand these people will continue.

Now you might prefer for the farmers to buy a bullet your opinion fair enough but a shovel costs nothing.

Its all very well to say I cant do anything isnt it - how about taking on a rescue dog to save another one out there?
No...please read my posts properly Spot as it causes problems when you don't.
I didn't say they didn't have them vet checked, I said that they should have them vet checked and send the reports to everyone that will listen.

As for me not taking on a rescue...who's to say I won't Spot...again please read my posts carefully or there is no point to me discussing anything with you. I understand you are passionate about rescues, but that doesn't mean you should make assumptions and not read things properly.

No..I am not having a go at rescues...I am saying that if ex breeders are rescued it should be alongside the rescuers doing education and ensuring that the powers that be are flooded with info about what is going on.
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
Why are you uncomfortable can you not understand what I keep telling you, this isnt just suddenly happening all the authorities know.
And lets be frank drowning a dog costs nothing.
You say your uncomfortable yet looked at a rescue dog did that make you uncomfortable apart from you worried would attack your dogs and kids?
So should the rescue you help at not take dogs in?
No..I am not stupid, I understand puppy farms and what goes on. What I am saying is that the councils/government/dog wardens/RSPCA should be flooded with the info that the rescuers have to balance out the fact that they are taking on the exbreeders...which makes way for a younger dog to be a breeder. They should also be educating.

My being uncomfortable, as you well know, is not to do with rescues, it is to do with taking on ex breeding stock from puppy farms. I am not (and have not) said that you shouldn't do it, but I have said that yes, I am massively uncomfortable with it as by doing it you just makeway for a younger dog to have a terrible life...therefore IMO the rescuing should be done alongside education and sending out as much info as possible to the powers that be as the more information they have sent to them, the more they gather, the better.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

10-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
No...please read my posts properly Spot as it causes problems when you don't.
I didn't say they didn't have them vet checked, I said that they should have them vet checked and send the reports to everyone that will listen.
As for me not taking on a rescue...who's to say I won't Spot...again please read my posts carefully or there is no point to me discussing anything with you. I understand you are passionate about rescues, but that doesn't mean you should make assumptions and not read things properly.

No..I am not having a go at rescues...I am saying that if ex breeders are rescued it should be alongside the rescuers doing education and ensuring that the powers that be are flooded with info about what is going on.

No..I am not stupid, I understand puppy farms and what goes on. What I am saying is that the councils/government/dog wardens/RSPCA should be flooded with the info that the rescuers have to balance out the fact that they are taking on the exbreeders...which makes way for a younger dog to be a breeder. They should also be educating.
My being uncomfortable, as you well know, is not to do with rescues, it is to do with taking on ex breeding stock from puppy farms. I am not (and have not) said that you shouldn't do it, but I have said that yes, I am massively uncomfortable with it as by doing it you just makeway for a younger dog to have a terrible life...therefore IMO the rescuing should be done alongside education and sending out as much info as possible to the powers that be as the more information they have sent to them, the more they gather, the better.
Again how do you know the rescues are not doing everything they can in the background? You can lobby parliament as well you know to get the laws changed - or have you already?

What can the authorities do when they are not breaking the law?

The powers that be helped set up these farms! Maybe you should try reading what has already been posted.

Do you feel rescues are adding to the problem by taking in greyhounds? Do you feel rescues are adding to the problem by taking in dogs no longer wanted?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 09:57 PM
I am tired, after a mad day at work and I am a bit confused.
Are people saying it is okay and good to take on an exbreeder and know that it will be replaced by another, younger dog without actually doing something to stop that happening? That it is okay to know the puppy farmers, where they are, what they do and befriend them to get dogs out at the end of their breeding life, but not to give ALL information to the powers that be?

Surely...if enough information was gathered they could now be prosecuted under the Animal Welfare Act?
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/act/index.htm
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Again how do you know the rescues are not doing everything they can in the background? You can lobby parliament as well you know to get the laws changed - or have you already?

What can the authorities do when they are not breaking the law?

The powers that be helped set up these farms! Maybe you should try reading what has already been posted.

Do you feel rescues are adding to the problem by taking in greyhounds? Do you feel rescues are adding to the problem by taking in dogs no longer wanted?
They ARE breaking the law by not providing vet treatment etc and ensuring the dogs are pain free, with the information from rescues that have the dogs vet checked once they have them that wouild be a lot easier to prove surely? What is the problem with it?

KCJack hasn't said she is doing anything behind the scenes...far from it she has said that everyone already knows so there is now need.

The authorities have not set up all the puppy farms Spot.

This thread is NOT about greyhounds or unwanted pets.

I admire the work that all rescues do.
I just feel uncomfortable about this type of rescue as it is never ending,one dog goes, just to be replaced by another, it is so very sad. I find it incredibly upsetting.
I do feel that the rescuers of these dogs could bombard the authorities with information...and perhaps some do, which is fantastic if that is the case all praise and respect to them.

I am not going to comment further on this as I have made my point and I do not wish to detract from any good work done for the dogs.
CheekyChihuahua
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Ramble, in an ideal world, where time and money were not a problem to any of us, I dare say KC would be spending the day with the PF, educating them, then off to the Vets with the ex-breeders, Vets reports typed up, sent off to Parliament, lobbying done to get laws changed and so on.................but this is the real world. I think all rescues are just doing their best with the limited time and resources that they have at hand. You will never find me being negative about any rescue situation. If I ever had the time and dedication to do what KC is doing, then I'd do it and maybe look into what you are talking about. Until then, I'll just be glad that some people out there are willing to put their own lives aside to do good for dogs that need help.

Do you really think that if KC and other rescues didn't take these dogs of the PF's hands, they'd just shut shop and stop replacing the breeding bitches. Of course not, they'd just make sure they were put to sleep by whatever means was the most convenient for them.

Also, I think any rescues have to be careful as to how they deal with these PFs, as I imagine that if they feel they are under scrutiny, the ex-breeders will ultimately be the ones to suffer
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2009, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by CheekyChihuahua View Post
Ramble, in an ideal world, where time and money were not a problem to any of us, I dare say KC would be spending the day with the PF, educating them, then off to the Vets with the ex-breeders, Vets reports typed up, sent off to Parliament, lobbying done to get laws changed and so on.................but this is the real world. I think all rescues are just doing their best with the limited time and resources that they have at hand. You will never find me being negative about any rescue situation. If I ever had the time and dedication to do what KC is doing, then I'd do it and maybe look into what you are talking about. Until then, I'll just be glad that some people out there are willing to put their own lives aside to do good for dogs that need help.

Do you really think that if KC and other rescues didn't take these pups of the PF's hands, they'd just shut shop and stop replacing the breeding bitches. Of course not, they'd just make sure they were put to sleep by whatever means was the most convenient for them.

Also, I think any rescues have to be careful as to how they deal with these PFs, as I imagine that if they feel they are under scrutiny, the ex-breeders will ultimately be the ones to suffer
Most sensible post I have read in a long time
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2009, 12:46 AM
A difficult one, and a strange debate where I can totaly see both side of the argument

as I can see it at the moment
The puppy farms are there, they are legal and will continue
As they only care about the money when a dog is past breeding they get a new one and get rid of the old dog

At that stage they really dont care too much about the dog so just want to do what is easiest

KC and others like her have developed a relationship with the PF to rehome these dogs
This is a fragile relationship, if it becomes too much hassle for the PF to work with KC then they will find another way to dispose of the dog

KC taking the dog does not in any way change the fact that the PF will get another breeding dog

Of course I totaly agree that PF need to be totaly banned, the public must stop buying from them and they should be made illigal

But as far as I can see KC is just giving these poor dogs a chance of a few years happiness in a loving home, it must be heartbreaking to know what is going on, to see all these dogs and to know its better to bite your tounge and be able to help a few dogs rather than speak out - to people who will not listen - and have the ex breeders disposed of in a cruel cheep way

I think rather than have a go at KC we should be all asking what we can do to once and for all get rid of the puppy farmers, if we all pulled in the same direction we must have a pretty big voice for good
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Yes and we can all imagine how hard it is for me to bite my tongue LOL
Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »